Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fish based diet? page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Fish based diet?

Primal Fuel
    I’ve been wondering lately if a diet based around fish is healthier than one centered around grass fed beef, poultry, etc?

I have no aversions, qualms or anything regarding beef and poultry. I love both to no end and don’t intend on giving them up. However, I’ve always known, been told, that fish is extremely healthy for you, and it appears that mercury poisoning doesn’t have to be of great concern.

Could anybody put forth an argument against this belief? I love fish, but definitely don’t eat nearly as much as I would like. My family prefers beef and poultry by far, however, my tenants who are Jamaican eat fish primarily and are nice enough to cook me a few every month or so and those are always some of my favorite meals. They’re also relatively healthy both being over 60, the husband is very lean and does a lot of work even when not at work, I’m not sure what else makes up their diet besides fish though, actually I do remember a conversation with him where he said he drove out and bought a whole goat from some farm (which definitely sparked my interest as I would LOVE to have a whole bunch of goat meat) so I know they love their animals. Usually they just give me whole red snapper that they either fry or grill … I know he buys fish in bulk somewhere in New York. I’m thinking of taking a drive with him and stock up myself.

I kind of want to try to have more fish on a weekly basis, I’m not sure if this would be more expensive or not, but I’m wondering if it would be more optimal than eating beef? Is the protein from fish as complete as the one in beef?

Maybe I should have done some more independent research before bringing up the question but I thought you guys are so informed that we could get a good discussion going. I know Mark’s wife is a pescatarian, and I know I’d be comfortable with such an approach as well, but definitely with the occasional GF steak, some pork, etc. I’m just toying with the idea of getting most of my muscle protein consumption from fish…

Any input is highly appreciated!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I eat a lot of fish maybe because the ocean (and fish piers/markets) are only a couple miles away. You can't beat the taste of fish caught that day even though fishes like salmon and halibut are imported from the Pacific. Even with the local availability of fish, it is more expensive than poultry and meats ($7.99 - $15.99/pound for fishes). Canned fishes (tuna, sardines/herring, salmon) are cheap though so that helps average the costs down I guess.

I think fish is very healthy and I try to stick with sustainable fishes and avoid farmed-fish. I don't have it every day though as mercury is a concern and I do believe that it is best to have a variety of proteins (poultry, beef, bison, ostrich, pork, lamb, eggs, etc.) in addition to fish/seafood to get a wide variety of nutrients.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch.aspx

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    We had a post on here about mercury vs selenium and how the toxicity of most fish is overrated. I eat tuna and or salmon several times a week and I don't see that there is any real danger in eating lots of fish. I'd eat more of it, but as mizski said it's expensive and I love other meats too.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    If I could afford it then I would eat fish very frequently - up to 5 times per week or more. It is probably best to eat a variety of meats in your diet but there are a variety of fish. Don't eat salmon daily - just eat a variety of seafood! As long as you eat mostly smaller fish then I don't see where mercury is really a concern.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I love fish. I wish it wear cheaper.

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/is-eati...ot-eating-fish

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    salmon, tuna steaks, mackerel, sea bass, sole, cod....

can tell I come from an island!
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Just to clarify I never said I'd give up other meats, I loooove variety, in fact i wish I could eat multiple types of fleshy proteins daily... I should make that a priority... some of the best meals are like that, right?! sometimes my dad makes a very primal breakfast unintentionally composed of beef, pork, chicken sometimes, sausage, etc... damn it now I'm hungry.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by queen_sheba View Post
    salmon, tuna steaks, mackerel, sea bass, sole, cod....

can tell I come from an island!
    yumm.... COMMON favorites of my own along with redfish & flounder

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    It doesn't have to be one is better than another, therefore if I eat the better I will be healthier. Even if fish has some properties that are more healthful than other proteins, eating a range of different proteins will not only add to a more varied micronutrient content but will add to the sustainability of someones diet...........Adding more marine foods to a diet that is lacking is definitely a plus.jmo
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm giving up fish for the time being as I believe it to be the prime culprit for the state I'm in now (i.e. gaining weight/fat, feeling generally crappy - just had to concede that I am no longer a size 2 on my bum and have ordered size 4 leggings) for the simple reason it doesn't satiate me, so I am forcing myself to eat meat (even though I don't really care for it all that much, but I think I can get more for my calories that way - a 100g mackerel fillet is around 360kcals, I can eat that with a load of salad and feel hungry about 3 hours later; for the same calories I can have 250g of diced beef and I'll probably feel satiated for FAR longer! Just hope it works, because I am NOT going up to a 6, damnit!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast