Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I feel bad after eating sweet potatos but not after regular potatos?

Why do I feel bad after eating sweet potatos but not after regular potatos?

Shop Now
    Everytime I eat a few sweet potatos I feel like shit shortly after. I get really tired and I can feel my heartbeat in my stomach and head. I often get this in a lesser degree from eating in general but not like that.
    Could it be that sweet potato's are difficult to digest and that when I eat them all energy goes to the digestive system?

How much are you eating, an entire one? I've never had this issue... have you noticed more of a pattern? like something you're eating along with the sweet potato?

Sweet potatoes are pretty high carb. Maybe you are getting a sugar rush -> crash?
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

I usually ate 2 big sweet potatoes at once with some butter. It's not a sugar rush -> crash because like I said in the title I don't get this from eating regular potatoes (sometimes in even higher amounts). Besides I'm not worried about carbs, I can eat tons of fruit without feeling bad afterwards and I'm really lean.

Sweet potatoes are harder to digest than say squash or peas or fruit. I think the starch is different, maybe a double sugar chain?
    I'm on very strict paleo (GAPS) type diet to heal my gut and sweet potatoes are a no-no, along with regular potatoes.
    HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivergirl View Post
    Sweet potatoes are harder to digest than say squash or peas or fruit. I think the starch is different, maybe a double sugar chain?
    I'm on very strict paleo (GAPS) type diet to heal my gut and sweet potatoes are a no-no, along with regular potatoes.
    HTH!
    Looked GAPS up and it sounds interesting, I will look into it when I have more time.

I don't crash like that from eating them, but they give me heartburn and stomach pains if I eat more than 1/3 a large potato (and I always got the same issue from eating sweet potato starch noodles). I prefer white potatoes and other root veg anyway, sweet potatoes are too sweet-tasting.

Quote Originally Posted by animalcule View Post
    I don't crash like that from eating them, but they give me heartburn and stomach pains if I eat more than 1/3 a large potato (and I always got the same issue from eating sweet potato starch noodles). I prefer white potatoes and other root veg anyway, sweet potatoes are too sweet-tasting.
    I think you helped me uncover the source of my new-found heartburn!

It baffled the hell out of me at first but it can be nothing else!

I still eat them, just in small portions.

Shop Now
    I guess I will seek out the small ones from now on. Thanks for the help!