Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I feel bad after eating sweet potatos but not after regular potatos? page

BlueBear is offline Junior Member

Why do I feel bad after eating sweet potatos but not after regular potatos?

Shop Now
    Everytime I eat a few sweet potatos I feel like shit shortly after. I get really tired and I can feel my heartbeat in my stomach and head. I often get this in a lesser degree from eating in general but not like that.
    Could it be that sweet potato's are difficult to digest and that when I eat them all energy goes to the digestive system?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    How much are you eating, an entire one? I've never had this issue... have you noticed more of a pattern? like something you're eating along with the sweet potato?

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes are pretty high carb. Maybe you are getting a sugar rush -> crash?
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

I usually ate 2 big sweet potatoes at once with some butter. It's not a sugar rush -> crash because like I said in the title I don't get this from eating regular potatoes (sometimes in even higher amounts). Besides I'm not worried about carbs, I can eat tons of fruit without feeling bad afterwards and I'm really lean.

Rivergirl is offline Junior Member
    Sweet potatoes are harder to digest than say squash or peas or fruit. I think the starch is different, maybe a double sugar chain?
    I'm on very strict paleo (GAPS) type diet to heal my gut and sweet potatoes are a no-no, along with regular potatoes.
    HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivergirl View Post
    Sweet potatoes are harder to digest than say squash or peas or fruit. I think the starch is different, maybe a double sugar chain?
    I'm on very strict paleo (GAPS) type diet to heal my gut and sweet potatoes are a no-no, along with regular potatoes.
    HTH!
    Looked GAPS up and it sounds interesting, I will look into it when I have more time.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    I don't crash like that from eating them, but they give me heartburn and stomach pains if I eat more than 1/3 a large potato (and I always got the same issue from eating sweet potato starch noodles). I prefer white potatoes and other root veg anyway, sweet potatoes are too sweet-tasting.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcule View Post
    I don't crash like that from eating them, but they give me heartburn and stomach pains if I eat more than 1/3 a large potato (and I always got the same issue from eating sweet potato starch noodles). I prefer white potatoes and other root veg anyway, sweet potatoes are too sweet-tasting.
    I think you helped me uncover the source of my new-found heartburn!

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    It baffled the hell out of me at first but it can be nothing else!

I still eat them, just in small portions.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I guess I will seek out the small ones from now on. Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast