Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Determined to quit Splenda - can anyone share their experience with me? page

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member

Determined to quit Splenda - can anyone share their experience with me?

I am trying so hard to convert to Stevia from Splenda - I know I have to do it and it's really tough. I'd love some motivation and hoped that maybe some of the great primal peeps here can share their experience with weaning from artificial sweeteners such as Splenda. What kinds of changes did you notice? Have you noticed any difference in the amount of cravings you have for sweets since ridding yourself of the evil nasty stuff that I can't seem to quit?

Thanks in advance.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

gator70 is offline Member
    Just quit! I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I don't believe there is wiggle room with sweeteners. Stevia is a great thing, and I don't miss sugar or splenda with my morning Joe at all. I think it's one of those things you just have to jump in with both feet.

Bolivar is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna be 'that guy' and say, don't quit, just keep your intake moderate, and they maybe cut it out. I use splenda as a life line for my smoothies, if i've made a green smoothie that tastes like ass, then I dump in some splenda to sweeten it up a bit. That's the only time I use it though.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I never used splenda or stevia, but did add sugar to my coffee. I just cut sugar and sweets out and my taste adjusted after a few weeks. Add sugar to my coffee now and I won't drink it...tastes nasty to me. I use frozen berries to sweeten smoothies (also doubles as ice to make them cold and thick).

Seriously, once you cut sweetness out of your life for good, you adjust and you don't miss it. The cravings stop.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I would concur with the first reply, just quit it. I enjoy the unsweetened taste of everything I used to have sweetened before. Tea and coffee specifically, but I don't add sugar, or stevia, or anything sweet to any beverage anymore. It's best in my opinion to realize that not everything you eat has to be sweet, except for naturally occurring sweetness in fruits, certain veggies, etc. If I make a smoothie (which is never) I only use the fruit, no added sugar ever.

Just let it go.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    I have found that I don't need things as sweet as I used to. I tried switching from splenda to stevia, but I thought stevia tasted like putting a dog turd in my coffee. Maybe I got the wrong brand or that's just my taste, but I don't care for it. I just kept using a little less splenda each week. I'm pretty happy with just heavy cream know.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I had a very scary experience with Splenda and I will never purposely eat another artificial sweetener again. I had a 5-10 pack a day habit, using it in coffee. I didn't eat any other artificial sweeteners. The first thing that happened is that I would get tingly fingertips and toes but I didn't really think anything of it. Then I noticed that every time I got up from the couch or a chair my vision would darken slightly and everything would go starry, I would be very dizzy. Finally after about 3 months of daily use I fainted after standing up from the couch. This happened while my husband was home and he insisted that I see a doctor. Apparently the Splenda was messing with my blood pressure, and my doctor told me to lay off fake sweeteners. You can google splenda dizziness and I think it comes up with a ton of hits.

Edit: I haven't had a dizzy spell since quitting Splenda.

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member
    I cannot for the life of me drink black coffee without Stevia, and my taste buds have adapted to eating very clean paleo with very minimal treats once and while. I used to be hooked on Splenda also! But I switched to the liquid Stevia, which tastes way better than the packets in my opinion.
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    I have found that I don't need things as sweet as I used to. I tried switching from splenda to stevia, but I thought stevia tasted like putting a dog turd in my coffee. Maybe I got the wrong brand or that's just my taste, but I don't care for it. I just kept using a little less splenda each week. I'm pretty happy with just heavy cream know.
    When I was quitting sugar, I kept the heavy cream in the coffee which helped a great deal. Then I slowly weaned myself off the cream as well. Now I prefer it black, but we also started buying a high quality, locally roasted coffee bean which makes a HUGE difference. If drinking poorer quality coffee, I still add cream.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Acmebike is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Get off all the sweeteners if you can! I've been off splenda, stevia, etc etc for some time now (and I had a powerful diet Mt Dew problem) once I swapped to stevia, my need for it was just as bad as for any other sweetener! So, I would make crispy bacon and hardboil eggs so I had plenty of it on hand at all times. Any time a sweet craving popped up, any time, I ate bacon or eggs and drank water. I know it is not what you are asking, but ditching the sweeteners is/was a godsend for me. Now I can eat some berries and they POP, with sweetness! I am not carb-phobic, but sweetners, even zero carb, are a bad trick on our metabolism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast