Thread: Gluten hangover? page

christie is offline Junior Member

Gluten hangover?

Primal Fuel
    I've been eliminating grains over the past month, and at this point I go several days without eating any. The difference is amazing! The one thing I've noticed though, is the longer I go without eating gluten in particular, when I do have some I'm much more adversely affected than before I began decreasing. Is this normal, or coincidence?

Yes, my eventual goal is to eliminate grains completely, but I need to take baby steps. The gluten hangovers may help that happen sooner rather than later!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's normal - you are purging a toxin from your body, and it doesn't like it when you re-introduce it.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    I ate a couple slices of pizza the other night...within minutes my cheeks flushed red, just like a person in an Old Dutch Master painting, living during the Little Ice Age. I was kind of freaked out by that. Don't think I'm eating grains anytime soon again.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Give up eating gluten and save your hangovers for the day after a good drinking session. Its more fun.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    It's absolutely a gluten hangover. If you cut sugar, you'll get those too after a while. Because it turns out I'm really allergic to grains, to help the symptoms I end up taking antihistamine beforehand. Aversion therapy works for me -- getting so sick afterward makes it even less appealing than ever. Best of luck to you!
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    When I first started giving up wheat/grains/gluten, an exposure would give me a lot of issues. Screw the baby steps. Just cut them out. Once I did that, my gut had a chance to heal. Several months later, I've found that a small exposure doesn't really affect me like it did when I'd just "dabble" with cutting them out or reducing them. For example, if I have a piece of bread in the context of a larger meal I seem to feel no effects like I would in the past where that same exposure would give me a "hangover." Now it's all about dose and context....which I keep to a minimum. I remind myself that just because it doesn't necessarily make me feel crappy, doesn't mean it's not damaging.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Diktynna is offline Senior Member
    It has become so bad with me that even if I eat a tiny bit (by accident) my face flushes and I feel crappy for a day or two. I have Celiac, so that is a large part of it (!) but a month or so ago I had gluten that someone added to a salad dressing .. ? ... and it was so obvious I had to comb over my last few meals to figure out where I ate wheat.
    Down almost 40 lbs. 70 to go.

milly3 is offline Member
    Totally. Last time I had a slice of bread, within 10 minutes my heart rate went up, my skin got hot, I got REALLY thirsty, and all I wanted to do was curl up and sleep. Unpleasant.