Thread: how many g of fat a day? page

primal pete is offline Senior Member

how many g of fat a day?

Shop Now
    I've noticed that I have a hard time meeting daily energy requirements eating fat instead of starch. Typical cuts of meat don't really have much fat (by our standards), so what I've started doing is taking a giant glob of grass fed butter and melting it over bite sized chunks of meat. I'll put on maybe 40g of fat from butter, which coupled with the serving of meat totals 60-75ish or so?

Even then, 75g of fat is only around 700 calories, which isn't enough for me (or anyone). I'm a guy, 24, 5'9"...I'd guess around 8-10% body fat. I can see my six pack but it's not Mark Sisson ripped. So anyway...I'm wondering how many grams of fat a guy my size should be shooting for a day. I'm guessing anywhere from 100-150? I'd say I'm eating 50-100g of carbs a day.

and a sort of follow up question...does everyone find the need to supplement fat into their meals? I feel like I need to throw a bunch in there via butter or coconut or whatever to even hope to come close to meeting a daily calorie requirement on a fat based diet. How does everyone get their fat?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you do dairy, it's pretty easy - butter, sour cream, fage, cheese. Avocadoes. coconut oil. Coconut milk! Cream in coffee. Avoid skinless chicken breasts. Get your ground beef at a butcher and ask him to throw an extra hunk of fat in the grinder for you.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I tend to eat around 65% to 70% of my calories as fat.

I think most people here tend to be fairly high (compared to the average modern diet), but individual consumption probably varies a lot. I doubt anyone should be below something like 40% fat, but there's probably a pretty wide margin.

Since fat is so calorifically dense you don't have to eat that much of it to get a decent amount: you just have to be sure to take some.

In grams? If you were eating around 2,600 calories a day and eating about 65--70% of your calories as fat it would work out to something like 170 to 200 g of fat.

I do what you do - I eat the separable fat on a piece of meat if it's got it and add a piece of butter if it hasn't (and possibly even if it has). There'll also be some fat there even if there's no separable fat - more in some cuts. (A quarter of a pound of lamb's liver has around 6 g of fat in it even though there's nothing to be seen.) If you can get good quality cereal-free sausages - or make some - that's a good way to get some fat in.

So far as plant sources go, avocados are reasonably high. Nuts aren't bad - a ounce of pecans has more fat than a tablespoon of olive oil (though a lot more bulk) - but you probably don't want to eat too many nuts as they have got anti-nutrients in them, so can be rough on the stomach in large quantities. Then there are coconut products, as you say. And there's olive oil for your salads.

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    I weigh 105 lbs and I'm not huge on tracking intake anymore, but used to be. I get 150-250g of fat per day, mostly from cream, butter (which I am known to to eat in cold chunks out the fridge), full-fat greek yogurt, and fatty beef. I add fat to everything to up my cals, and I am up around 5 lbs since I started PB which is a huge deal for me. I feel best with 50-150g carbs daily and aim for 100g protein (I love meat but don't have the appetite for huge servings of it often - I eat a lot of eggs and full fat greek yogurt, as well as nuts and nut butters). This works out to over 65% of my daily cals as fat.

YMMV but I am guessing you need to eat more food and more fat.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    My fat intake seems to have slipped a bit after my inrush of it in the beginning. I've found that I'm really not that hungry anymore and tend to nibble instead of gorging on fatty foods (I credit this fatty food gorging for my drop of 25 lbs in 4 months).

I'm fairly inactive and always have been. I do hunt, but that is nothing more than driving to the property, climbing 25 ft up a tree, sitting for three hours, climbing back down and driving home. But I digress. I've noticed that I'm now nibbling or even almost to the point of grazing and I fear a reversal of fortunes. I still eat eggs in a couple of different styles and they are always fried in butter or bacon fat and my coffee gets about a 1/4 cup of half and half in it, but I've started eating Oikos 0% fat organic greek yogurt at 9 am, noon and evening. It contains 11g of sugar and has 12g of carbs per serving. I can't find full fat greek yogurt in this podunk town. Would it be better if I melt some butter and pour in it or maybe bust open this can of coconut milk and add to it?

I feel like I need to be punished or something.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Just pour heavy cream in your fat free yogurt. Take that, fat free-ness!

rev
    rev is offline Junior Member
    Olive oil, avocado, macadamia nuts, and coconut butter are my standbys for adding extra fat. The last two can be expensive buys, however. When I first started eating primal I was adding 2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 avocado to my usual salad for brunch/lunch. I found I had even more energy when I made it a whole avocado.