Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What's your favorite high dose fish oil supplement? page

  1. #1
    NoMoreGrains's Avatar
    NoMoreGrains is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    82

    What's your favorite high dose fish oil supplement?

    Primal Fuel
    I recently got a good deal on Nature's Bounty 1360 mg (950 mg total omega 3 - they don't specify exact DHA and EPA levels) fish oil capsules. I think I'm going to stick with these, because I really want to reduce the amount of actual pills I take, and concentrated fish oil seems like a great way to do so. It's nearly a gram for each pill, so a few a day depending on what I'm eating, and I'll be good to go. What other brands make good high dose fish oil supplements?

  2. #2
    kuno1chi's Avatar
    kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    4,498
    NoMore,

    I just use a similar cheapie called "Finest Natural" from Walgreen's...probably made by the same guys

    My understanding from what Cillakat has said, is that all brands are pretty much good, as long as they're fresh---so I just get whatever one is on sale,
    pop one to make sure it's not rancid...then keep them in the fridge.

    I take about 4-5 grams a day, so it's good to save a little $$$.

  3. #3
    Zed's Avatar
    Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoreGrains View Post
    I recently got a good deal on Nature's Bounty 1360 mg (950 mg total omega 3 - they don't specify exact DHA and EPA levels) fish oil capsules. I think I'm going to stick with these, because I really want to reduce the amount of actual pills I take, and concentrated fish oil seems like a great way to do so. It's nearly a gram for each pill, so a few a day depending on what I'm eating, and I'll be good to go. What other brands make good high dose fish oil supplements?
    This is what I take and it is a high quality fish oil. I like these because one will take a whole less versus the standard fish oil supplements (which only provides 300 grams of EPA+DHA). However, it is expensive ($12 a bottle in my pharmacy), but worth it. You will spend more if you buy the regular ones, and have to take 6+ depending on what you eat.
    Last edited by Zed; 10-15-2010 at 12:18 AM.

  4. #4
    FairyRae's Avatar
    FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,996
    I like NOW DHA 500. 500 mg DHA and 250 mg EPA per capsule, plus extra. From what I'm reading here from cillakat and Stabby it seems we should all be getting more DHA than EPA. Its something I'm *just* starting to learn about though...

  5. #5
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    I think I have Nature Made or something like that, also 950mg per capsule. I bite into every one of them though and suck the goodness out of them then discard the deflated capsule. I just started doing that two weeks ago but already I'm used to it and not turned off by the taste in the least. I find it very mild. I take them usually after a meal, then pop some vitamin D and drink a bit of water. I was having issues drinking too much water during a meal THEN drinking a lot more to take the fish oil caps (big capsules make me want to drink lots of water to make sure they don't get stuck which I know is not too likely) so biting them was a way for me to not have to chug tons of water. It's helped make me feel less full after eating.

  6. #6
    kennelmom's Avatar
    kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upstate of SC
    Posts
    1,328
    Right now I take these, recommended by Robb Wolf http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11248464 They're easy to get, relatively cheap (for the amount of EPA/DHA) and easy to take. I take about 11 per day. They do contain soy, which is not ideal, but it is what it is. When my next bottle is gone, I think I'm going to switch over to Carlson's liquid. I HATE all seafood, so I'm not sure if I can stomach the liquid fish oil.

    I avoid pills that don't break out the epa/dha levels.
    Last edited by kennelmom; 10-15-2010 at 06:58 AM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

  7. #7
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    Right now I take these, recommended by Robb Wolf http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11248464 They're easy to get, relatively cheap (for the amount of EPA/DHA) and easy to take. I take about 11 per day. They do contain soy, which is not ideal, but it is what it is. When my next bottle is gone, I think I'm going to switch over to Carlson's liquid. I HATE all seafood, so I'm not sure if I can stomach the liquid fish oil.

    I avoid pills that don't break out the epa/dha levels.
    Why would you take 11 when you know it's a substandard product? I'm asking if you're eating that much grains that you even need that amount of fish oil in the first place, what does it add up to? I guess if It's around 4g or something that's fine...

  8. #8
    kennelmom's Avatar
    kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Upstate of SC
    Posts
    1,328
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Why would you take 11 when you know it's a substandard product? I'm asking if you're eating that much grains that you even need that amount of fish oil in the first place, what does it add up to? I guess if It's around 4g or something that's fine...
    That amount is based off the Whole 9/robb wolf calculator: http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

    I don't eat grains except maybe a serving of rice a few times a month. I don't eat any seafood and still eat some CAFO/mass produced meat and am dealing with some minor inflammation issues. When I'm eating a lot of grass fed meat, I take less. Still dealing with some inflammation factors, but I'll eventually drop it down to half that...and probably switch to a pure-er product.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •