Thread: Eating on the day AFTER a workout? page

BoyPrimal is offline Senior Member

Eating on the day AFTER a workout?

Primal Fuel
    For strength gains does your body need more protein/fat/calories the day OF a workout, or the day after?

I'm not talking about bulk and BEEFING UP post workout carb stuffing =p I'm looking to strengthen my body and give it the energy it needs while it's repairing post-workout. Is it going to need more energy on the day of, or the day after? ( IF, body adaptability, and the common sense to eat when you're hungry aside )

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    For Me Personally, I eat more the day OF the workout, especially after a really challenging effort, for better recovery, and as a rule, your body can better process and handle more calories when you have worked really hard. Day AFTER workout, I will often IF, or by that, I mean have coffee with 2TBS Heavy Cream for the 1st meal of the day, and not eat again till late afternoon. This balance works for me, and my lean gains have been great.

Debbie is offline Senior Member
    When I had a trainer, she only pushed three things with regard to my diet: eat protein right after my workout and ... eat plenty of protein at every meal ... and don't eat like a dieter when I work out like an athlete. I don't think that conflicts with the PB.

*sigh*

(My workouts are of the past. I really need to get back to that ...)

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    post workout/exercise is the most important to keeping your body going/building/healing

other than that just keep adequate protein and whatever you want to use as fuel.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I've heard it can take a week for your body to fully repair, so there is no most important time to be eating right. You should do it 24/7 when you are hungry.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Also matters if you're attempting to lose weight. I've read eat up the day of the workout, get your good primal carbs in, the workout day is meant to be slightly lower in fat and higher in carbs (I don't mean 30%fat, 60% carbs, but mroe like 50% fat, 40% carbs or something like that) but still with protein present. Your off day should be a regular primal day where fat reigns supreme but carbs are lowest, wahtever maintenance carbs are for you or lower if you're trying to lose weight.

I personally eat about the same regardless of activity, it may be that I'm not pushing myself too hard but I don't feel ravenous after a workout. I'm pretty sure I'm probably taking it easy on myself. Darn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    I've heard it can take a week for your body to fully repair, so there is no most important time to be eating right. You should do it 24/7 when you are hungry.
    true, it does take time but proper post workout nutrition can kickstart the process and speed recovery, just like taking a walk can help relieve doms quicker.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I don't feel ravenous after a workout.
    I don't feel hungry after exercise, but I do feel drained. And if I don't get the right foods in post exercise that drained feeling lasts longer than it otherwise would.

Alexb is offline Banned
    just eat lots of primal food with good protein and fat whenever you feel hungry. there's no need to complicate things

your body knows what its doing