Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is happening here? page

lolov is offline Senior Member

What is happening here?

Shop Now
    I apologize for jumping in with "issues" LOL as my first post... I've lurked since I went primal in July, so I feel like a member even though I just registered so I could ask my question. Mea Culpa

So, reader's digest version, I went primal in July and never looked back. No grain at all (with very few "cheats" here and there), limited alcohol consumption, no sugar, only grass-fed local meat, organic dairy. I wasn't hugely overweight, but I've got about 10 - 15 lbs I'd like to jettison and I was hoping that this was the answer. I've got hashimoto's thyroiditis (controlled with armour thyroid since 1995, and I see my doc three times a year to check that it's still a-ok... and not just "by the numbers" I know what *my* numbers should be - where I feel good - and keep my meds adjusted so I stay there.) Family history of diabetes and heart disease - but I've always been fit and nutrition conscious (which meant I followed CW until I found paleo) so have always avoided processed crap. I also take a multi vite, fish oil (3g daily), and a bunch of other supplements (resveratrol, etc.)

This past year, I had ACL surgery (January) and shoulder surgery (July), both of which I'm mostly rehabbed from (though the shoulder is taking way longer to quit being sore than the knee did!) and I'm only partially limited by my shoulder. My usual weekly workout is walking the dog for 30 mins daily, sprints on the spin bike 2x a week, long/slow cardio 3x a week, yoga 3x a week (this is the first thing to get jettisoned if I can't fit something in) and weight lifting (as heavy as I can within my limits) 2x a week. This is a typical week's worth for me. It's hard to fit anything else in as I have two small kids, etc.

I am very good about getting a good, solid 8 hours of sleep a night, too... it's just something I learned a long time ago that I *need* so it's not negotiable.

Here's the issues:

1. I'm not losing any sort of inches/pounds/anything and it's depressing. Like I said, I'm not "fat" by any stretch, but I am experiencing middle age spread syndrome ;-) and I'd like it to go away. I don't feel like I LGN.

2. My blood work last week was interesting. My cortisol levels are through the roof (I have this issue from time to time, no idea why, again, something I was hoping would magically disappear with paleo LOL), my triglycerides went from 140 (not bad) to 55 LOL , my cholesterol levels are fabulous but my fasting blood sugar was 110 (wtf?! it's never been that high before! and I didn't eat anything different the night before, either... I know because I keep a food journal.)

3. I'm rarely hungry anymore and it's a struggle to get even 1300 calories a day... usually I get that by snacking on handfulls of nuts during the day.

So, what gives with the cortisol and blood sugar and why am I not losing inches (I don't give a crap what the scale says... I care what size clothes I'm wearing LOL!!) Any ideas on what I can do to change things up for a little fat loss??? I'm wondering if it's the cortisol that's inhibiting fat loss.

Again, I apologize for barging on in with whiney questions, but I'm really stumped. Did I miss something in PB that I'm not doing? I'm very frustrated with myself. Any advice is appreciated

Thank you!!

Lo

lizch is offline Senior Member
    What do you typically eat in a day?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Typical day... hmm... let's see...

Breakfast I can take or leave. If I eat, it's either 2 - 3 eggs with maybe bacon or ham if I have it on hand, or some cheese. Sometimes, I make a protein shake with whey protein (sugar free) powder, frozen (unsweetened) berries, ice and water. I probably skip breakfast three times a week. Oh, and I *always* have coffee. Two cups. Strong. Black. Chewable. Sometimes I put in some organic half and half.

Lunch is usually a salad made with mixed greens, some sort of protein (usually leftover from the night before's dinner, so grilled chicken or steak or sometimes shrimp or fish) and various other veggies (tomatoes, cucumber) a few olives and maybe a tablespoon of feta if I feel fancy. Or maybe just some tuna salad on cucumber slices. Sometimes I'll make a "wrap" using romaine lettuce leaves and turkey or chicken and some cheese. Something along those lines.

Dinner is usually a protein (beef, pork, fish, chicken - local and organic mostly) a veggie (cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale, chard, zucchini, etc... whatever is in season, mostly) usually sauteed in olive oil with enough garlic to kill every vampire in the state and a salad... sometimes a glass of wine.

Snacks... nuts, fruit sometimes (mostly apples with almond butter), cut up veg and ranch dressing, boiled eggs, guac on cuke slices, cheese on cuke slices, etc.

Like I said, I forget to eat because I'm simply NOT hungry, so often, I'll realize at about 3 that I haven't yet eaten that day except for a handful of almonds at mid-morning. I typically work out mid-afternoon (around 2-ish.)

Thank you

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Coffee and Caffeine are Known Cortisol Triggers..... Just so you know. That said, I cannot give up my coffee habit either. For some it is not an issue, but for you, it could be part of the issue. That's all I have..... Hopefully others will chime in.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Where the thyroid is involved in regulating metabolism and going PB will affect metabolism I would hope you shared your changed habits with your doctor.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Did you take a look at Mark's articles?

How stress can make you fat

and

17 reasons you're not losing weight

Apologies if you already have, just hitting all the bases

I've found that an intermittent fast can really shake things up and help loosen stubborn goop off the gut.

Roo
    Roo is offline Member
    This probably doesn't have anything to do with your weight, but I just started thyroid medicine a few months ago. My dr looked at all the supplements I take and told me to stop the resveratrol because it has an effect on the thyroid.

I have to cut out all the "extras" if I want to lose weight -- no nuts, no wine, no dairy. *sob* Doesn't matter how many calories or what I do to work out -- just a matter of getting those carbs down to about 15 a day. That sucks, but it is a reality for me so far. I think the thyroid problems also make it much harder to lose weight, even on meds. I am losing about 1/2 pound a week. My husband, who is eating what I eat PLUS a lot of junk and not working out, is losing about 2 pounds a week. Grrr.....

Keep playing with carb counts, intermittent fasts, sprints, etc . . . it may take some experimenting but you will find what works for you!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    It is almost always either:
    nuts
    booze
    dairy

You're doing all three.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting enough Vitamin D and Selenium, most thyroid peeps are low in both. Low selenium can hurt your T4 to T3 conversion, and although you are on Armour the T3 in the meds is very short lived. How do you dose your Armour?

I have thyroid issues too. I never had my cortisol tested, but I am sure it was/is high. Quitting coffee for a month made a HUGE difference. I lost 5 pounds that first week and the only change was ditching coffee. I drank a TON of hot tea to keep from getting headaches, about 3-4 cups a day.

Were you losing weight on Armour previously? If you were, than you may be one of the many people that do not do well on the new Armour formulation. Some people find it works better if they crush/chew it before taking it.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    You know, about this thyroid thing: I am definitely hypothyroid, and that was my excuse for years. But in the absence of dairy (for the first time in my life!), the weight is positively flying off my body. Interesting, innit?

Now I gotta go find a sweater because, of course, I am freezing cold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast