Thread: Is amaranth flour primal? page

Primal_Warrior is offline Junior Member

Is amaranth flour primal?

Primal Fuel
    Hi
    I was just wondering if amaranth flour is primal because I read it is a seed from a leafy vegetable. Any help with this would be appreciated as I really need a good pancake recipe as the ones I've tried so far are either too eggy or nutty.
    thanks

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure this falls into the grey area category. Are you avoiding gluten specifically, or also trying to go VLC?
    Also, why do you need a pancake recipe?

Neither really just been following the primal way of life for the last few months. I really have the urge to eat pancakes even though I was never a huge fan before (maybe an occasional one). I've tried making them out of coconut and almond flour but they're yucky

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I guess if you treat it properly like grains or seeds by soaking etc then it should be ok or maybe just have it as your 20%.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

nah I dont wanna waste my 20% been staying 100% primal over the last few months. Was just curious about the amaranth flour because someone wrote about it on their blog saying it was primal

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    all grains are a seed for vegetation.
    initially wheat is green grass then matures and dries w the berries (seeds) at the tip.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I would probably consider it a grain but not as bad as wheat
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I use amaranth flour to thicken soups/stews...whether it's a grain or whatever. It works well for that, but I've never made baked goods out of it. Doesn't it smell funny to you?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    BTW I have used buckwheat flour mixed with coconut flour pancakes, it was ok. I just gave up substituting that stuff, more or less, and learned to love my bacon and eggs.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_Warrior View Post
    Hi
    I was just wondering if amaranth flour is primal because I read it is a seed from a leafy vegetable. Any help with this would be appreciated as I really need a good pancake recipe as the ones I've tried so far are either too eggy or nutty.
    thanks
    If it's a seed it almost certainly has some anti-nutrients.

You can see that in functional terms - the anti-nutrients have the function of stopping animals eating the seeds. It's not that plants actually have "strategies" for survival, of course. It's just that if seeds were generally good to eat then the plants that produced them would tend not to stick around because all their seeds would be eaten up and there'd be nothing left for new ones to grow from.

If you want to eat any particular grain/seed ... well, some are worse than others. I don't know about amaranth specifically. If it's very much more expensive than other flours, then maybe it's not worth it, as anything of the sort if likely to have some issues.

But there are preparation methods that are helpful for dealing with the anti-nutrients. There are instructions, for example, in Nourishing Traditions.

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Tra.../dp/0967089735

It varies according to what you're dealing with.