Thread: Osteoporosis, PBF, and Resistance Training page

bob
    bob is offline Member

Question Osteoporosis, PBF, and Resistance Training

Shop Now
    Do bodyweight exercises and lifting with weights assist in increasing bone density the same?

I have osteoporosis as a result of years of undetected hyperparathyroidism. Fun stuff for an active, 46 y.o. male. Over the past year, I started taking Actonel and working out regularly, even completed a round of P90X. My last bone density scan in June showed a pretty dramatic increase in bone density, which my doctor attributes to the Actonel, Vitamin D supplementation, hormone therapy, and my exercise regime.

Since that time, I found PB and have adopted the PB lifestyle. In regard to fitness, I started with bodyweight exercises three times a week following the PBF guide (simplefit prior to PBF) and recently switched to Mark's 5x5 program for hardgainers (I'm a hardgainer) as I would like to add muscle.

My goal is to have my bone density increase to within the normal range and get off the Actonel as soon as possible. I believe that the resistance training that I have been doing is what made my results so favorable and will allow me to achieve my goal. Does anybody know if the increase in bone density attributed to resistance training is any different whether you do bodyweight exercises or lift with weights? I know the body is a weight but wasn't sure if the added weight from plates or with dumbbells would make any attributable difference.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Strength training increases bone density - you don't necessarily need to lift weights - any resistance training will work. My mother completely reversed her osteoperosis through yoga and pilates - which is all balance and body weight.

bob
    bob is offline Member
    Thanks, Suki. Great to hear about someone who has accomplished the same goal.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Shouldn't matter. Strength training is strength training. I'd be careful to make sure you're not at risk of fracture before doing anything too high impact, like plyometrics, but if your doc clears you for that, have at it.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Can't remember the source, but I read an article talking about how impact is even better than lifting weights for osteoporosis. Stuff like jump-roping, kicking and hitting heavy bags, etc.