Thread: Beginning Week 2 page

Monty is offline Senior Member

Beginning Week 2

Shop Now
    I've been eating primaly for a little over a week. I have a concern. After eating a good meal (meat, veggies, and salad usually) I'll have a feeling high in my stomach (about mid chest) that is a lot like hunger pangs. But I'm not hungry. These are usually accompanied by a headache.

For instance, last night I had pork loin (with fennel seed, garlic, olive oil, s&p), steamed cauliflower with butter and salad (romain, iceberg, spinach, cukes, tomatoes, and italian dressing - which is homemade). about an hour later, i had the feeling i explained above. after a while, i tried to calm it with an apple and some almond butter, but that didn't help.

Anybody have a similar problems. I have a feeling that it might be heart burn, but I never used to get heart burn (unless doing shots) so its hard for me to tell (heartburn just came to mind as i was writing this).

Griff is offline Senior Member
    It's probably carb cravings. Give yourself another week or two for it to go away.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Feelings can be quite deceptive.

If you ever notice anyone, say, leaning to one side when walking down the street, anyone standing with one shoulder raised, etc., etc., then you've just seen someone who thinks he's upright, standing normally, etc., etc.

It's all around us ...

... which is why the advice to listen to one's feelings can sometimes be questionable advice. If you're not getting reliable information back from them, then it can be a bad strategy.

I doubt they can be hunger pangs, if you have just eaten. You could try fasting for awhile some time and see if you can get a handle on exactly how it feels.

My guess - it's only that - would be that you may be having trouble digesting some of what you've eaten. Maybe you're not used to eating as much fat, for example.

I would avoid eating more on top, if you've had what seems like a good meal. What I think you might try is taking some digestive enzymes for awhile, and see if that helps.

Adding in some fermented foods such as sauerkraut can also be helpful. That's often eaten with pork in Germany and middle Europe. So might probiotics. It's also said that bitter herbs - such as the Swedish Bitters formulation can help:

http://www.amazon.com/Swedish-Bitter.../dp/B0001TRIWS

if it might be larger amounts of protein that are giving trouble, then gelatine-rich broths can be helpful. Cutting up meat small and serving it in a gelatine-rich broth is also said to be good.

Monty is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the insight fellas...I think I'll try riding it out for the meantime. See how things go. I'm leaning towards carb cravings cause I haven't really added anything significant to my overall diet (except more bacon). The meal I described is in regular rotation, but instead of salad and cauliflower, we'd have mashed potatoes...lots of them. If things haven't changed in the next couple of weeks, I'll revisit this.