Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh my....The 125 Best Packaged Foods for Women page

lizch is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Oh my....The 125 Best Packaged Foods for Women

Primal Fuel
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ry?id=11875325

I can't get past the first page. Even overlooking the scarcity of fat in any of those products, WHERE'S THE NUTRITION? All those frozen treats seem to be amalgams of different forms of sugar.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

....and here's the full list of all 125. http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/best-foods

They're killing people!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    And what the hell makes these "for women"? Is it a stereotype that women want to eat fake-sweet lowfat treats?... emphasis on dairy for calcium?... buh?

Ah, I see lizch linked to the whole thing. Depressing that the entire top half is grainy carby crap...

And the "next story: What Constitutes a Balanced Diet?" link: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellnes...ory?id=6964654
    made me say "oh no" when I saw the title, but I suppose it's not horrible. They say, "eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and whole foods as opposed to processed foods, such as sugar and refined carbohydrates."
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Oh that's ironic, having just listed 125 processed foods crammed with sugar and refined carbohydrates!
    Liz.

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    I guess "best" is a relative term...

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Ah, I suppose the "for women" is because it's quoting from Women's Health magazine. OK, fine... but still. I am annoyed. XD

Grok is offline Senior Member

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    my favourite packaged foods (foods in "packaging"):
    Bacon, Butter, Chocolate, frozen vegetables (mainly broccoli, cauliflower, & brussel sprouts), eggs (I recycle the cartons with chicken farmers), evoo, coconut oil, red wine, cider vinegar, Saag's all natural brats, herbs & spices, heavy cream, tins of coconut milk, canned fish (tuna, sardines, salmon, etc), olives, almond & hazelnut meals, coconut flour, beef, pork, chicken, lamb...

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    ... but I suppose it's not horrible. They say, "eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, and whole foods as opposed to processed foods, such as sugar and refined carbohydrates."
    As far as it goes ...

But what does "whole foods" mean specifically - except as a vague label that probably says "brown rice and wholewheat pasta" to most people? All that's specifically mentioned by name is fruit and vegetables - and if you actually only ate those or didn't bother too much with anything else you'd get pretty sick.

Why not mention "sources of first-class protein" or "foods rich in fat-soluble vitamins" or "adequate fat" or "oily fish"? How is dietary advice that only mentions vegetables and fruit "balanced" for goodness' sake? Is, for example, the incidence of borderline rickets among newborns not at all worrying to these people? Fruit-n-vegetables aren't going to help there.

How about the need for fat for the development of the cerebral cortex in infants, and worrying signs that some aren't getting enough because of advice just like this?

It's difficult to fathom the thinking of these drone who can keep producing that sort of dross - always this thing called fruit-n-vegetables and never any mention of anything else - when there's now so much more sensible advice out there. Are they trying not to offend vegetarians - and is the health of their readers of no concern because of that goal? Are they just fixated on that broken and now risible "7 countries study" model? What on earth is it? I think as a professor of cell biology said recently it's just "mob think".

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    I thinkit is going to take a long, long time to overcome the horrible advice of the past 30-40 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast