Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we REALLY need that postworkout shake? page

Bolivar is offline Senior Member

Do we REALLY need that postworkout shake?

Primal Fuel
    I'm about to do a 24 hour fast. I'm about to have my last big meal in a couple of hours. Then friday I will have nothing til 6pm. Tommorows workout plan is going to be uphil sprints (Killer!), followed by Sledgehammer workout. Normally I grab a shake right after, but while fasted, obviously I can't.

What's the low down on no protein shakes after vigorous workouts while fasting?

Do we REEEALLY need them? Or is there some metabolic healing effect without them.

(JSYK, Friday evening will be fasted til Saturday aswell, 2 in a row!, so friday evening will be a collosal eating window)

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Nope, we don't REEEALLY need them. We'll survive either way.

Whether or not PWO nutrition of various types is beneficial depends upon individual goals. Someone trying to build muscle mass might do well do consume some protein and carbs post workout (not necessarily a protein shake, though -- what's wrong with real food?). Someone focused on losing bodyfat would benefit from fasting post workout.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 10-14-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    If your body isn't currently low on protein then fasting for less than 48 hours should not cause your body to move to it's backup protein source (catabolizing your muscles and organs). I like to make sure that I get plenty of protein right before I start an extended fast as well as ending it with plenty of protein. A 24 hour fast should not cause you any problems at all even with a vigorous workout.

Nocturnalhorse is offline Senior Member
    I have been toying around with this idea from quite somtime now. Finally 2 weeks back I put it into practice. I haven't been having any whey protein postworkout all this while. The result?? My recovery is still intact and my bodycomposition seems to be improving as it was before. My g/f feels the same way. Mind you both of us do powerlifting so the workouts are intense and heavy.

We are more than happy to renounce the use of whey for a hearty solid meal.

nice replies, sometimes I finish the gym and I sit there getting my whey box and flask out of the cupboard thinking......grok wouldn't do this crap.

Greg B is offline Junior Member
    Post-workout nutrition has at best, a marginal effect. Carbohydrates after an intense workout also inhibit the release of growth hormone and testosterone, two hormone drives that are integral to healthy body composition, whatever your goals are.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    If by consuming a post workout shake a person somehow gains an advantage compared to not having one will for all intents and purpose depend on whether they've hit their daily macro goal. You can consume all the protein shakes you want but if your not consuming properly the rest of the day, it won't make any difference. It's really for the athlete where nutrient timing and food partitioning makes sense......for the rest of us a protein shake is just a good marketing campain to seperate us from our hard earned money. jmo.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    On the one hand, humans got along just fine for thousands of years without protein shakes. On the other hand, humans also got along just fine for those same thousands of years without doing "workouts".

If Grok had exerted himself with unusual vigor, that probably would have made him hungry. If you're hungry after working out, eat something! I'm just not really seeing why it should be something different from what you would normally eat.

Alexb is offline Banned
    I would say fast for 24 hrs, then do your workout, THEN eat some real food.

Screw the protein shake.

By fasting you jack up your insulin sensitivity, increase fat-burning hormones and create a superior nutrient partitioning effect between your muscles and fat tissue. Not to mention uphill sprints might be the most intense exercise you can possible do and these my themselves would be enough to so all of the above without even fasting. Combine the two and you are putting yourself in a perfect position to simultaneously gain muscle and lose fat.

Well I did my sprints, then 20 or so mins later a bit of sledgehammer work. Here I am now and feel fine, my appetite feels surpressed, and i'm not feeling that 'I know i'm fasted, i'm slightly hungry,i feel empty, it's tempting to eat, but i'm not' feeling anymore which is nice.

If anything, I'd like to have 1 meal a day everyday, so nice not to fool around with multiple meals. I'm not sure if I get enough macros in though for the big meal. Maybe I should spread the meal over 2 hours or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast