Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Biotics - Recovery? page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Anti-Biotics - Recovery?

Shop Now
    I woke up with strep throat/tonsilitis this morning (the test was inconclusive so apparently I have one or the other according to the doctor) and they put me on 10 days of anti-biotics.

One I finish these 10 days, what should I do to get my system back in working order? If I go to walgreens and purchase a bottle of pro-biotics will this be enough to kick me back into gear or should I consider anything else?

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    This wasn't a souerkraut related illness, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    This wasn't a souerkraut related illness, was it?
    Revenge of the sauerkraut, maybe?

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Acidophilus Pearls is a good commercial brand. It comes in blister packs in a small, flat rectangular box. WalMart has the best price on these that I've seen. Some FAGE Total Greek yogurt would also be good. When I had strep a few years back, FAGE was the most soothing food during that time. You have to read your Rx instructions though as many antibiotics have specific directions re: dairy products.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Here is a good MDA thread all about probiotics... many good brands recommended here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...733-Probiotics

My own personal experience with antibiotics has been terrible. I took them last year for injuries resulting from a car accident, and they drained me of a significant amount of strength. I've been taking probiotics ever since, but unfortunately haven't experienced any recoup of the lost function.

A couple of the reviews of the powdered inulin (*pre*biotic) product below say that taking it along with their probiotics produced a noticeable benefit (i.e. the probiotics seemed to work better):

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Inuli...27-g/1100?at=0

I'm planning to give this a try sometime soon.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post
    Here is a good MDA thread all about probiotics... many good brands recommended here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...733-Probiotics
    Those brands aren't available at Walgreen's though.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Test inconclusive? How odd, I thought strep tests were really clear-cut these days.

Whatever it is, probiotics are good. Fage actually only has two "bugs" in it -- might want to try Stonyfield instead, or mix the two, or whatever. Stonyfield has five or six, as I recall. (under the "more is better!" theory...)

Thanks guys, I'll does up on greek yogurt and whatnot then once i finish these pills. Thanks for the advice!

jostle is offline Senior Member
    Inconclusive couldn't this also mean you don't have a bacteria infection, which is the only reason to use antibiotics. Colds and sore throat are usually caused by a virus infection, so antibiotics do nothing if this is the case.

The rapid strep test and the culture can tell your doctor if you have strep throat. If something else is causing your sore throat, these tests do not tell what it is.
    Maybe someone more familiar with the tests can give some input, but I think your doc may just be quick to prescribe antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by jostle View Post
    Inconclusive couldn't this also mean you don't have a bacteria infection, which is the only reason to use antibiotics. Colds and sore throat are usually caused by a virus infection, so antibiotics do nothing if this is the case.

The rapid strep test and the culture can tell your doctor if you have strep throat. If something else is causing your sore throat, these tests do not tell what it is.
    Maybe someone more familiar with the tests can give some input, but I think your doc may just be quick to prescribe antibiotics.
    I totally agree with this, and maybe this is what makes me a bad primal person but I will take the anti-biotics anyways because my throat is swollen, covered in white, pussy looking lumps, and hurts like goddamn hell.

His words: "it could be viral but take these just in case"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast