Thread: Trouble staying on track! HELP! page

mgarone is offline Junior Member

Trouble staying on track! HELP!

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

I have just been having trouble staying on track with my nutrition. I love eating primal but often feel the urge to binge on grains in things such as pizza or have loads of sugar in ice cream. It makes me feel like shit but I still do it. Does anyone have any advice that has helped them along the way. I know that I feel so much better when I eat primal but I still have lapses. I am not trying to be perfect, I just don't want to feel sick anymore. Any thoughts?

Matt

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    start a journal .. the thought of having to confess online may slow u down when it comes to errant eating..

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Also...check out Shannon's inspirational thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ose-struggling...

And hang in there. You're getting over an addiction---be good to yourself.
    You can do it!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Do you have any idea when you have that urge to eat junk food? Is it more when you are with friends? At home? Think about the environment you are in when you want pizza, etc. so badly.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Lizzie125 is offline Member
    Maybe you need to give things up more gradually...some advocate the cold turkey approach, but it did not work for me. I gave up all sweets first but allowed myself to eat savory grain based carbs for a while...then I gradually gave that up (pasta first, then bread). I still slip on the savory carb thing--but ONLY on fresh french bread, which is like heroin to me. I don't buy it, but my husband is not primal and it will come home with him sometimes. But drawing the line at sugary carbs immediately made my life easier. Finally, even when I do cave, I am eating no other such things at any other point or on most days it can constitute my 20% when it slips past my door.

Also, out of site out of mind: avoid pizza places! Don't buy ice cream. Etc. Start drawing some lines around what you bring home and where you go for dinner or whatever. And when you do "cheat" (I hate that word, but you know what I mean) make sure it is really special: grandma's homemade pizza or your birthday cake or whatever.
    Last edited by Lizzie125; 10-14-2010 at 06:28 AM. Reason: errors and missing words

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    What worked for me was to figure out which primal foods really felt like a treat for me - cashew butter, nuts, bacon - and allowed myself to eat as much of that and other primal foods as I wanted. I didn't feel deprived at all, and I think my body knew what it needed in terms of fats, etc, because I hardly ever had any cravings for bread or pasta and only a few for sweets of any kind. Combined with the sheer joy of eating real, full-fat foods and enjoying the hell out of them, I got through.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    keeping a journal and gradually working into primal foods are pretty good advice. for me, one of the things that helped me with urges was to find a replacement for those foods. for instance, i keep some bite sized pieces of banana in my fridge for when i feel like having ice cream (sweet and creamy--one or two pieces kills my cravings), or whip up a little pizza frittata (a flat sheet of eggs covered with tomatoes, cheese and toppings) to block my desire for pizza.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I still binge unfortunately, but at least it's on paleo foods. or primal, whatever. Eliminate your trigger foods. If they're not there, you can't binge. ALthough for me at least, I binge on things like steak as well. The only things I don't binge on are vegetables. Sorry for going off on a tangent, I obviously have other problems and they're quite frustrating as well!!!

jfilbin is offline Junior Member
    I had already decided to quit grains (I'm gluten intolerant), when my doctor put me on a "low carb" diet(no grains, beans, fruit, sugar). So since he wants to see me in 3 months, I have to be a good girl and not eat any. However, after reading about what grains and gluten do to your body, it was pretty easy. Having the graphic detail of the effects grains were having on my body was enough to scare me straight. If you have Marks book, reread it, if you don't, read his articles from the archives or go buy the book. Its been a real help to me. This forum was a huge help to me when I first started, it was like a giant support group! Hang in there and don't beat yourself up. Find really good stuff you CAN eat (Bacon is my absolute fave right now). If you're a rebel, snigger at the people who only eat egg whites and tofu while your downing a bacon, mushroom and spinach omelette w/ 4 eggs and cheese, now that's living, not giving something up! I like to think I'm sticking it to the man by eating something that conventional wisdom tells me is bad, but is actually really good for me! If you find the right motivation, all the rest will follow.

Primal_Warrior is offline Junior Member
    If I fancy a pizza then I make one, but I make the base out of almond meal and top it with primal foods - yum yum now I haven't had primal ice cream but I know there are some recipes here on the forum ;0