Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bone marrow vs supplementation page

jonnasaays is offline Junior Member

Question bone marrow vs supplementation

Primal Fuel
    Hello,

I am interested in trying to supplement my diet with bone marrow for several reasons. I have a bladder disorder in which the supplementation of glucosamine and chondroitin are often recommended. Silicon is also recommended. These are all nutrients that are used in building connective tissues from what I have read. I am much more interested in using foods in order to be optimally healthy, and I have seen Mark mention somewhere that glucosamine and chondroitin are components of bone marrow. I would appreciate if anyone has seen any information online regarding the composition of bone marrow to please let me know!

Thanks,

Cana

cillakat is offline Senior Member

jammies is offline Senior Member
    So does anyone here regularly eat marrow? I'd like to add it in, but don't know how to get it or cook it. I remember when reading "julie and julia" the julie make some recipe with marrow on steaks and said it was heavenly!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    So does anyone here regularly eat marrow? I'd like to add it in, but don't know how to get it or cook it.
    Not regularly. Laziness I guess, since it is tasty (and appropriately high in fat).

Queen Victoria used to have it every day on toast as a snack. ( I've seen historians mention that and then make snarky comments around "that must be why she was tubby" - since everyone knows that eating fat makes you fat.)

You could cook osso bucco.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Only when I suck it out of a lamb shank or beef shin . Osso Bucco is a great idea, try to get meat on a bone and ask your butcher to split the bone for you. Are you in the Northern hemisphere? If so and you're coming into autumn, then now's a good time to get it in stews and pot roasts and things like that.
    Good luck!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes eat marrow. I should eat it more often, but I'm lazy. I buy it at the farmer's market and then soak it in water overnight (or upto a week) ans then cook it in the crockpot for a few hours. I also add vinegar for taste. If you can, get them split in half so you can eat the marrow with a spoon.

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    I've had good luck when making my caveman stew, to buy bone in cuts and bare bones, separate the bones out, put in the crock pot with just enough water to cover them, add some sea salt and cook on low for around 24 hrs. This does a pretty good job of breaking down the marrow into the broth. Then yank the bones, strain the broth, put back in the crock with your meat and cook another 8 hours or so.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    There is not a lot of info that I have found about the nutritional makeup of it. There is some study about elk or caribou bone marrow makeup.

Jammies, search the forum, there has been a ton of info on this. It's not hard to search or make it. Easiest thing would be just to make some broth (as Lars86 describes) with whole bones that have marrow in it which will render out when simmering. Eat the broth, or freeze the left over parts and you'll have the marrow in the rendered out fat.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I eat it once a week or so. I use marrow soup bones and braise for a bit til the marrow is loose and soft. I also eat bone in meats like lamb shanks and suck the marrow out. Yum!

jonnasaays is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I tried it in soup and it had a funny taste. I will be on the look out for grass-fed bones as I'm sure they are superior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast