Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VFF winter alternative page

bcreager Guest

Primal Fuel

Loving my VFF, I have some sprints and KSOs, and I'm lucky enough to be able to wear them to work.

But, I'm wondering what I'm going to do this winter. I'm looking forward to the VFF Trek's, the should help, but still wondering if there are any other winter alternative that will keep my feet toasty in the snow and slush

-bcreager

Tarlach is offline Member

What about the VFF Flows?

I bought a pair of them for winter.

* This is the first I have heard of the KSO Trek. I had to go and Google it. There's also a VFF Classic Moc/Performa.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

bcreager Guest

Flows are on the short list with the Treks. Waiting until the Treks to come out to decide which I like better. How do you like the Flows, are they more "water proof" then the KSOs? I'm mostly worried about snow days, and getting wet feet....I wonder if Injinji socks come in GorTex?

-bcreager

Tarlach is offline Member

Where I live in Australia is pretty snow free, but they seem to be much more 'water proof' than the KSOs.

I only recently received them, so haven't given them a good workout yet. I prefer to wear my KSOs to work.

* They are also VERY snug when you first get them and are hard to get on. I don't know if you could get them on with socks.

They do seems to stretch out a bit and they are easier to get on now. I still haven't tried them with socks yet though.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

PrimalCanuck is offline Junior Member

I've been using VFF Sprints since last spring and spent most of the winter hunting around for an alternative. I ended up with two good ones, for different purposes -

1 - low intensity activities: MEC Expedition Booties

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 9877&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302734361&bmUID= 1251347826257

2 - running: moccasins, locally made here in Canada

Moccasins are great when it's well below freezing, not so hot for slush.

fritchbeetle is offline Junior Member

I've been considering moccasins. They've got a great track record.

Pun intended.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

VFF should make a knee-high boot for those of us who live in very snowy conditions.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

They make (or made, they might be discontinued) a hideous one called Surge, they look to be mid calf height? I'd wear them under pants though! They still have some on ebay at least.

I've read that both the Trek is mostly just a heavier sole for hiking, and the Moc (men's) and Performa (women's) are indoor shoes for yoga/pilates/martial arts type stuff.

I'm really considering the Flows for winter, they have a heavier sole, and a 2mm (I think) neoprene top portion to keep your feet warm. I don't know about being waterproof, but they are used for kayaking/diving/whatnot in colder water too.

I wear my classics or sprints every single day, I hate my regular shoes now Southern Ohio gets cold winters too (not like upstate NY or anything, but still snowy and cold), and I just can't imagine not wearing Vibrams for 3-4 months!!!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

AlainaOfArc Guest

I've been wondering this myself. I can deal with going barefoot (or close to) in the summer time, but it's difficult to do in the winter.

Like fritchbeetle, I'm thinking moccasins. Does anyone know if they're water proof, or how to make them water proof? Maybe this is a question best posed to a group more familiar with the footwear...

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Lookie what I found!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wmns-Vibram-Five-Fingers-Fivefingers-Surge-Shoes-Sz-38_W0QQitemZ160358403867QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Wome n_s_Shoes?hash=item25561b0f1b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Granted, they're for water, but I don't see why they wouldn't work for snow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast