Thread: whole foods eggs page

lbt
    lbt is offline Member

whole foods eggs

Primal Fuel
    For those of you that purchase your eggs at Whole Foods (specifically, their brand), which ones do you get? Do you get the regular ones that are cage free but "fed with grains", the organic cage free that are fed a "vegetarian diet", or the omega 3 ones (which I never look at so I am not sure how they are fed)? I typically buy everything 365 brand, but I wondered if there was a difference with these. The only dozen of eggs I could find of all the brands they had that said "pasture fed" was the Vital Farms brand which was $5.99 dozen. I did see a local farmer one but there wasn't a description on their cartons. I'm wondering if it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Mmm, the term "cage free" is pretty meaningless when it comes to eggs. Supposedly it's easy to qualify -- they can still have hundreds of chickens packed into a giant warehouse, only they are all crowded together on the floor instead of separated by wire -- oh and if they also want the "free range" label, all they have to do is open a gate onto a little asphalt lot once a day, and maybe some of the chickens go outside but most don't even realize the gate is there...

Personally I'd go for pasture fed. I don't know if it is enough to make a difference in health -- but I do know the pastured eggs I buy taste GREAT, with orange yolks-o-deliciousness. (But $5.99 a dozen? Ouch! I get mine from a local market and they get them from a farm. I forget how much but they're certainly not that much...)

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Try to hook up with someone locally who has pasteured chickens or get yours at the farmers market. I've only recently started doing this, and I'm a dolt for not doing it sooner. $3.60 for 18 of the most gorgeous ORANGE-YOLKED beauties. All different shades and slightly different sizes, with poop still on the shells. The way it's supposed to be.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Try to hook up with someone locally who has pasteured chickens or get yours at the farmers market. I've only recently started doing this, and I'm a dolt for not doing it sooner. $3.60 for 18 of the most gorgeous ORANGE-YOLKED beauties. All different shades and slightly different sizes, with poop still on the shells. The way it's supposed to be.
    I am jealous. I get pretty good eggs at $2.50 per dozen. They are from a local farm and are pastured. But, the yolks are NOT orange... I know I am missing out but I am just not sure how to find orange yolked eggs!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

isaboblue is offline Senior Member
    the yolk color just tells you what kinds of food the chickens have been eating...i get my eggs from a local farm and the yolks range from pale yellow to deep orange...also, all the shells are different colors too, white, tan, brown and pale green!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Excuses are like asses, some are just bigger than others" Kathryn Martyn Smith

arewolfe is offline Junior Member
    You should seek out fresh eggs directly from a farmer. By doing so you enjoy the benefit of being able to ask exactly how they're raised and fed, as well as how fresh the eggs are. We tend to forget that Wholefoods is still a supermarket. Their products are still commercial commodities. Foods that I can get directly from a farmer bring me the most satisfaction on every level... knowing where it came from, knowing who raised it, and knowing you're giving cash directly to a farmer instead of a corporation.

This is an amusing excerpt from Joel Salatin's book Holy Cows & Hog Heaven: The Food Buyer's Guide to Farm Friendly Food

"At farmer's markets I would routinely buy supermarket eggs and crack them on saucers along with our pastured eggs. This was to show the difference and create awareness among the shoppers, many of whom had never actually seen a side-by-side comparison. It was dramatic.

When organic certified eggs finally arrived in our supermarket, I started using them in these comparisons. They were much poorer than the generic store brand. I finally ran into a certifier and got the story. The sell by date is from packing, not from the day the egg was laid. In the industry [commercial supermarket eggs], the eggs come right from the factory house onto a conveyor, through a washing machine, under a dryer, across a candling booth (to check for inside abnormalities and cracks), then into a sizer and into the boxes. It's all done in the same day.

In the smaller organic industry--and I use the word "industry" on purpose--glitches were playing havoc with supply so the packers were looking for a way to fudge inventory. By waiting a month to pack the eggs in their retail cartons, they were able to fudge a month on the sell date. As a result, the organic certified eggs were much older and of poorer quality than the generic store brand at a third the price. When patrons would come by and wrinkle up their noses at those raunchy eggs, they would ask: "What's wrong with that egg?"

To which I would reply "Oh, it's organic."

GREAT story, arewolfe. Heheh!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    i hear you. i always stand bewildered in front of the WF egg case. I don't think I am going to seek out a farmer. Too lazy.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Get some chickens. You will never go back to the store bought second rate stuff. I relish the fact that I reach under a hen every morning for my breakfast! SOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    I don't think I am going to seek out a farmer. Too lazy.
    Can't blame ya, I'm lazy too. But I found an organic market (not WF) very close by that carried really good eggs from a local farmer. Score!