Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dachshund PB page

Stevoreo is offline Senior Member

Dachshund PB

So after a lot of thinking I took the advice of many fellow PBers. I started my overweight Dachschund on a "paleo" diet. Started with "Taste of the Wild" and have slowly been incorporating raw chicken necks. Well she loves it and has already lost almost a pound, which for a 16 lb dog is AMAZING in only 3 weeks. Thanks to all who helped me with this!!!!! Regular dog food is garbage!!! Ingredients=corn, more corn, and even more corn (what a joke)!

BTW i wanted to specifically thank "kennelmom" for all of your help!!!

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member
    That sweet pup must be in her glory! lol!! A real meat diet.. yum!

nonajoy is offline Junior Member

How we feed our dogs...

Our two dogs, Belgian Malinois, have been fed a "primal diet" for over 10 years now. That means they get no grains. They get raw meaty bones, mostly chicken from a good source.

They also like above ground veggies, in season, and will snitch ripe tomatoes right off the vine in the garden, and my female has taught herself to dig up carrots when they are fingerling size.

We give them good leftovers when available, and please know that our total vets bills for the past decade have been nada! We only get the required rabies shot every three years.

Most of the "modern health problems" are caused by feeding dogs a totally inappropriate diet for these carnivores. Dog food is full of grains and additives. It is a good way to destroy a dog's health and have humongous vet bills. Don't do it if you love your pet.

Read up on the Raw Meaty Bone diet!

http://www.rawmeatybones.com/index.html

Our vet bill 3 times per year for both Dachshunds is $300 per visit. I was sick of it. One question though, by switching to a raw diet, do I still need to supplement them with Heartworm? Also, I have one that is 16lbs (now 15lbs thanks to the raw food) and also a 11lb (full grown)the 11lb thinks it is a great idea to swallow the chicken necks whole, i have been hesitant to give him anything larger because he has no patience and swallows anything he can whole. Is this ok? often he runs around the house shrieking because his throat is clogged and it scares the death out of my wife. Should I attempt to give him something larger? e.g.- a chicken back or drumstick? Thanks in advance

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    pictures please! favourite puppy type!
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

if I could figure out how I would, lol

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoreo View Post
    do I still need to supplement them with Heartworm?
    Heartworm is transmitted by mosquitoes, and unfortunately even a raw fed dog is still susceptible as far as I know. But depending on where you are in the world, you may not have to medicate nearly as much as 'recommended'. Like here in Colorado, heartworm is actually really rare. Mosquitoes are only around for a short period of time and we have a very low percentage of dogs with heartworms, so the disease just does not spread here. But live in the south, and you need to consider HW meds year round. You may be in an area where you can stop through the winter. Do research on your area, the actual heartworm prevalence in your area, and research the different types of meds to decide your best option (you are essentially giving your pet an insecticide, so you want to give the lowest most effective dose you can the least often).

In regards to meaty bone size, I have had a couple dogs who did not do well with chicken necks for this very reason. Gulpers and necks seem to be the perfect size to hang up. Yes, coughing it up is not pleasant, good news is that dogs were meant to have this ability. Go for some larger pieces like backs would be good. You can sometimes hold half the meaty bone and let them gnaw on the other end and learn to chew....but a lot of times as soon as you remove your hand they go back to gulping, lol.

He actually amazes me with the size of him and how much he can swallow whole, lol. He normally regurgitates it and goes right back to eating it which definitely is not pleasant, however dogs do digest in there stomach so i know he is doing it "on purpose". As for the heartworm, thank you for the info. I live in New York and Mosquitoes they are pretty much gone for the year so i will definitely do some research to see if it is necessary.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoreo View Post
    if I could figure out how I would, lol
    eay peasy if they are on flickr or photobucket? if not you will need to upload them on your profile page, it's kinda complicated...lol
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast