Thread: Oxtail Soup page

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member

Oxtail Soup

Shop Now
    I have always made vegetable soup over the years but because of the cost of grass fed beef I am trying the soup with Oxtail. I have always avoided fat and so I became fat from all the sugar. Here I am ready to add all the vegetables into my wonderful stock and what pops into my head. Hey, your not going to drain all the fat off! If I take my stock and place it in the fridge I am sure I will get a thick layer of fat the question becomes should I remove the fat?

If a good cook would tell me what to do I would really appreciate it.

Mark

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes I scrape it off and sometimes I don't. If I do remove it, I save it for frying veges or something. For me, the flavor of the fat and my mouthfeel mood make the decision. In other words, play it by ear.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    A more direct question (from a man who thought pop tarts and peppermint patties were diet food because they had no fat) is this fat good for me?

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    This fat is fine. WIth oxtails I tend to skip it after it cools because when I have big oxtail pieces it is very fatty and I don't like the way it feels in my mouth. Even if you skim it there will be plenty of fat left. I made some this weekend, skimmed the fat before reheating, and then there was more to skim after it cooled again because more fat rendred out on the second cooking. I slow cooked it oth time sin teh crock-pot so it didn't dry out. The left overs i am heating in the microwave.

runnerbean is offline Member
    Tastes way way better if you skim it.
    You can always save the fat and do something else with it.