Thread: Mild tendonitis in forearms page

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member

Mild tendonitis in forearms

Outside of my forearms, up near the elbows, most on left and a bit on right. I think some sledgehammer forearm lifts was the original culprit to annoy them. It has been going on for several weeks. I try not to do exercises that cause further irritation. Pushups seem to be OK. Have been avoiding pull ups (for most of my life).

Wondering what folks recommend to deal with this. I don't really relish the idea of eating 12 ibuprofen tablets a day for the next week.

Thanks,
    One Delta Ten Tango

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    if it is tendinitis and not a tear I would suggest cross friction massage on the area. It has helped my patella tendinitis in the past. I've had tightness/pain in my forearms before (not sure if it's the same spot you're saying but it sounds similar) and cross friction has helped relieve the area.

Simply take your thumb and rub across the area perpendicular to the muscle/tendon. You can also try pressure release to try to relieve the area.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Federkeil. I am pretty sure it is not a tear. Any thoughts on anti-inflammatories? My diet is pretty clean at this point so not much to cut out there in terms of inflammation producing foods.

I've been on a lot of different ones for multiple injuries (I'm talking prescription strength aleve, celebrex etc... heck even a 6 day steroid pack never took away the pain [this was all for other stuff])... in the end I usually just end up back at Ibuprofen. I've only ever used one thing that has ever alleviated the pain, it was a topical gel, I don't remember what it was but it worked like a charm when used before activity. Other than that I would suggest a "tennis elbow" band, when my tendinitis flairs up now I just have to put a "jumper's knee" band on it for the activity and it goes away.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Glenn Ammons is offline Junior Member
    Rest will work but is slow. I cured my last bout of tendonitis (also in my forearms) by doing negatives for a while. For example, lift a dumbbell with both arms and then lower it with just one. It seems to strengthen the muscles without overstressing the injured tendons.

Jadebb1 is offline Senior Member
    I also am recovering from a case of mild tendonitis in my forearms (inner, near elbows) from (stupidly) going to do chin ups cold. Im able to do pull ups (hands facing out), but can't do chin ups without causing mild pain.

My husband is a chiropractor and basically told me to lay off any pull up/chin up motion until the pain is completely gone, which he assured me could take a couple of months.......great.

Just thought i'd give you his two cents. (I don't always like what he says, but I always listen!)

Good luck!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    It's funny that this thread came up at the same time as the masturbation thread. I think the two might be related.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    It's funny that this thread came up at the same time as the masturbation thread. I think the two might be related.
    Somebody had too say it..Nice

Grok didnt have advil in his medecine chest. I say if its not torn, just suck it up & keep working it. I havent eaten any pain relievers in 6 months. Those things are worse than grains in my mind. If you need them as a fever reducer, I can't fault you.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Quote Originally Posted by Chairdr View Post
    Somebody had too say it..Nice

Grok didnt have advil in his medecine chest. I say if its not torn, just suck it up & keep working it. I havent eaten any pain relievers in 6 months. Those things are worse than grains in my mind. If you need them as a fever reducer, I can't fault you.
    Grok also didn't have antibiotics or sanitizer. Not everything modern medicine suggests is bad, just don't use pain killers to mask the pain so you can do more damage without feeling it. Reducing the pain for normal activity is actually a good thing as it prevents overcompensation by the surrounding muscles (which can lead to a whole 'nother mess)

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, anti-inflammatories are nasty things...
    I've had tendonitis. If you can, do a search and see if there's someone in your area that does prolotherapy. It can take a series of 4-6 injections, bnut unlike cortisone, it strenghthens the tendon.