Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dessert with Alcohol? (Like rum balls)

Dessert with Alcohol? (Like rum balls)

Shop Now
    I'm turning 21 (woo hoo!) and I would love to be sneaky and bring a dessert to my graduate class that includes alcohol in it. I had seen champagne cupcakes and I had thought of primalizing rum balls somehow.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Pretty easy, just sub the cookie crumbs with chopped nuts or shredded coconut and use a substitute for sugar.

I remember seeing a recipe for brownie rum balls, I think it was Martha Stewart... ah ha, here it is: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/rum-balls You could make one of the million primal (or at least grain-free) brownie (or blondie) recipes on the internet and use that instead. I plan on making them for Christmas and coating them in dark chocolate. =]
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Whisk double cream with amaretto, top with crumbled amaretto biscuits.

Thank you both for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    I remember seeing a recipe for brownie rum balls, I think it was Martha Stewart... ah ha, here it is: http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/rum-balls You could make one of the million primal (or at least grain-free) brownie (or blondie) recipes on the internet and use that instead. I plan on making them for Christmas and coating them in dark chocolate. =]
    What kind of brownie do you think is best? I was thinking the pumpkin/nut butter brownie might be a good combo with rum, but Martha's is good ol' chocolate.

My concern with a gluten-free brownie is that it may be too dry/crumbly to pull this off... besides, isn't it quicker to just make regular rum balls instead of making the brownie, baking it, letting it cool, etc etc etc?

Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    My concern with a gluten-free brownie is that it may be too dry/crumbly to pull this off... besides, isn't it quicker to just make regular rum balls instead of making the brownie, baking it, letting it cool, etc etc etc?
    I care more about the end-product than I do for time, as I'll only be turning 21 once and becauseI'll be sharing it with others. The balls might be too dry with a brownie, and if it is I might consider adding something to help it gel (probably coconut oil). However, I can't imagine mixing nuts, coconut flakes, and rum would stick together very well either!

Actually, if you mix nuts and coconut with melted chocolate, roll into balls and chill, they stick together quite well!

Jell-o shots in orange skins? This wouldn't fool anyone so it wouldn't really fly to sneak into a class, but these are crazy fun to do for parties. I made a batch a few years ago and they disappeared quickly. Should be easy enough to replicate with sugar-free jello and perhaps some other flavoring? (test batch may be required )

It is pretty labor intensive though.

Shop Now
    Dude! Those are awesome. I'm doing them--just not far class, for the reasons you mentioned. They look amazing though! I love the beautiful presentation of such a grungy college type drinking behavior, lol.