Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk powder page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Coconut milk powder

Primal Fuel
    I'm curious about coconut milk powder. I've seen it mentioned here once or twice, but can't find where it was. I want to get some to use in smoothies for my daughter. Canned coconut milk isn't convenient in some instances.

I know dried milk powder (dairy) is not good because of oxidation.

What about the coconut? Is it different because of the fat profile?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Just keep in mind that it can have a "mild" laxative effect.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    It was mentioned in the Primal Fuel thread. And also, I asked about it in this thread. I haven't gotten answers yet. Maybe it's time for some independent research.

golgol is offline Junior Member
    I am based in the UK and really keen to try and find somewhere that sells coconut milk powder. Similar to this:

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....-milk/CMP5.php

Anyone from the UK have any experiences/suggestions?

Thanks.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I was in a store a week or so ago looking for coconut milk (for the Primal Blueprint coconut ice cream recipe) and there was powdered coconut milk right next to the cans. The fat content was very very low in the powdered stuff compared to the can. I'm guessing that fat doesn't go through the powdering process (whatever that is) which is why powdered milk is always skim v. whole. I'm not saying to stay away from it, I may even get it sometime soon, it just didn't seem like a 1-1 trade off for the actual canned milk.

golgol is offline Junior Member
    Agreed - Coconut milk definitely trumps the powdered alternative. I was intending to use in dry shake mixes as has been discussed on the forum previously (potentially protein powder, cacao powder and coconut milk powder).

Also important to be vigilant when buying coconut milk powders with regards to added ingredients. I understand that the powdered version requires a small amount of milk protein to stablise the fat. This is not overly concerning (unless you are avoiding dairy). What is more concerning is the fact that several powdered coconut milk products have been taken off the market in the UK because they do not list said protein on the ingredients list. What else are the leaving off the list?

Many powdered coconut products also seem to include the sweetener maltodextrin which is also added to many traditional 'snackfoods' - potato chips, crackers. This is enough to put me off.

jostle is offline Senior Member
    If your actually using this to make milk and drink solo, why not just by the coconut milk.
    if your using this to supplement into a smoothie or some recipe with multiple ingredients can't you just use coconut flour.
    I know the coconut flour from tropical traditions is pretty much a powder and only contains coconut.
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/or...onut_flour.htm
    This is from there site:
    "Tropical Traditions organic coconut flour also contains over 19% non-gluten protein! Therefore, it makes an excellent addition to shakes and smoothies where fiber and protein are needed. Or simply dissolve a spoonful in water as a high-fiber drink with a coconut flavor! This organic coconut flour is very versatile and very tasty. Sprinkle it over your favorite dishes to add a wonderful coconut flavor, use it as a thickener in soups and sauces - the possibilities are endless!"

I'm sure other quality coconut flour brands will also work the same.

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jostle View Post
    If your actually using this to make milk and drink solo, why not just by the coconut milk.
    if your using this to supplement into a smoothie or some recipe with multiple ingredients can't you just use coconut flour.
    I know the coconut flour from tropical traditions is pretty much a powder and only contains coconut.
    http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/or...onut_flour.htm
    This is from there site:
    "Tropical Traditions organic coconut flour also contains over 19% non-gluten protein! Therefore, it makes an excellent addition to shakes and smoothies where fiber and protein are needed. Or simply dissolve a spoonful in water as a high-fiber drink with a coconut flavor! This organic coconut flour is very versatile and very tasty. Sprinkle it over your favorite dishes to add a wonderful coconut flavor, use it as a thickener in soups and sauces - the possibilities are endless!"

I'm sure other quality coconut flour brands will also work the same.
    Coconut flour has no fat, so it kind of loses the creaminess in the smoothies. Plus it won't be as satiating. I think that's why the OP is interested in a coconut milk powder. Cillikat swears by her brand--says it tastes way better than canned!

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    The powder would be good for someone going off on a yachting cruise, easy to carry when you are away from grocery stores for a month or two. OTOH, if you go in the islands, there ought to be plenty of coconut trees around!

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by jqbancroft View Post
    Coconut flour has no fat, so it kind of loses the creaminess in the smoothies. Plus it won't be as satiating. I think that's why the OP is interested in a coconut milk powder. Cillikat swears by her brand--says it tastes way better than canned!
    I actually bought some coconut milk powder and it has 10 g of fat per 2 T. It tastes great...IMO better than canned stuff. But it gives me a crampy stomach. Will that go away with time? Coconut oil does the same thing to me. I used it for my daughter's pumpkin spice smoothie this morning and she liked it and didn't complain about a tummy ache. I'm just wondering why coconut products give me a tummy ache.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast