Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Zinc deficiency - zinc tally taste test page

  1. #1
    lcme's Avatar
    lcme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    B.C.
    Posts
    444

    Zinc deficiency - zinc tally taste test

    Shop Now
    http://www.drcheryl.ca/basic_lab/zinc.html

    I know a few people on here are supplementing with zinc. I found this test pretty interesting. Essentially you swish a zinc solution in your mouth and if you are zinc SUFFICIENT you will sense an immediate bitter taste. In contrast, if you are some level of zinc deficient then you will sense a taste ranging from nothing to a milder bitter taste.

    Anyone tried this before?


    Edit: To include criticism that the test can measure false positive or false negative depending on the testers overall taste sensitivity.

    http://siliconvalleyfit.com/zinc-tal...firm-accuracy/
    Last edited by lcme; 10-13-2010 at 02:02 PM.

  2. #2
    jimpag's Avatar
    jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    153
    Have not, but I recently ordered one thats coming in the mail any day now. Will be nice to really see if im zink defficient or not, have always thought so because of acne, general slow wound healing, white dots on nails etc.

  3. #3
    Grizz's Avatar
    Grizz is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    http://www.drcheryl.ca/basic_lab/zinc.html

    I know a few people on here are supplementing with zinc. I found this test pretty interesting. Essentially you swish a zinc solution in your mouth and if you are zinc SUFFICIENT you will sense an immediate bitter taste. In contrast, if you are some level of zinc deficient then you will sense a taste ranging from nothing to a milder bitter taste.

    Anyone tried this before?
    Icme,
    Where you get your zinc solution to swish. Any links? Did you make it?

    Many thanks,
    Grizz

  4. #4
    QuirkyPixy's Avatar
    QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    242
    I've done the test with Thorne brand Zinc Sulfate, which can be found at iHerb. I am definitely zinc deficient (slow healing, white spots on nails, persistent acne, thyroid and digestive issues), and the test confirmed this; a shot glass of the solution held in my mouth for 30 seconds only produced a very faint baking soda taste. Most of what I've read has claimed this test is more accurate than tests of serum zinc levels, so I think it's a good way to determine if you need to supplement or not.

  5. #5
    lcme's Avatar
    lcme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    B.C.
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Icme,
    Where you get your zinc solution to swish. Any links? Did you make it?
    Grizz

    Sorry Grizz. I haven't tried it yet. I just heard about it on Robb Wolf's podcast and googled to check it out.

    It looks like a 0.1% zinc sulphate solution is the best concentration. I'm sure that you can also use zinc picolinate. Basically just find a capsule that only contains zinc, open it, pour it into the right volume of water and stir till it is dissolved.

    I'm probably going to get some zinc at the store tonight. I'll update here if I try it.

  6. #6
    avocado's Avatar
    avocado is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    702
    Claims are nice, but where is the research showing that the test has any validity at all?

  7. #7
    QuirkyPixy's Avatar
    QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Claims are nice, but where is the research showing that the test has any validity at all?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8112809

  8. #8
    cillakat's Avatar
    cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,473
    Here's what I use for oral zinc status testing:
    http://www.iherb.com/Ethical-Nutrien...0-ml/3624?at=0

    At one point, I had a cite that supported the correlation between the 'taste perception of zinc in solution' and 'zinc tissue status'. For the life of me, I can't find the reference. Anyone?



    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order


  9. #9
    lcme's Avatar
    lcme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    B.C.
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Here's what I use for oral zinc status testing:
    http://www.iherb.com/Ethical-Nutrien...0-ml/3624?at=0

    At one point, I had a cite that supported the correlation between the 'taste perception of zinc in solution' and 'zinc tissue status'. For the life of me, I can't find the reference. Anyone?
    Oh thanks. What's your ref code again?

    Someone posted a PubMed link above. Is that the same study?

  10. #10
    cillakat's Avatar
    cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,473
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    Oh thanks. What's your ref code again?

    Someone posted a PubMed link above. Is that the same study?
    It's not the same study. i keep looking for it though. lol

    You can use my email for iherb.com: cillakat @ gmail . com or there is a code posted in my supplement doc linked below.


    K



    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •