Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zinc deficiency - zinc tally taste test page 2

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
    So some correlation (assuming the results are repeatable), but wrong a significant percentage of the time. Which is true of most tests.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    So some correlation (assuming the results are repeatable), but wrong a significant percentage of the time. Which is true of most tests.
    Assuming that the study was well done we can assume that the results are repeatable, but since this is only a PubMed abstract it essentially means nothing to either of us. This is just a fun and harmless test that likely will tell you something about your zinc state. Obviously it would be dangerous if someone started supplementing with excessive amounts of zinc just because of this test, but I'll consider that one for the "Darwin Awards."

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    how is zinc picolante (sp?) for a supplement?

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    how is zinc picolante (sp?) for a supplement?
    This is one for cillakat.
    From what I have seen picolinate is fine, but sulphate can cause stomach upset. You might want a second opinion on that though :P

Edit:
    I think this paper is free, it might just be available where I am. http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/119/10/1432
    Basically picolinate helps metal ions to get across lipid bilayers, which means that it would help metal ions to permeate into cells.
    Last edited by lcme; 10-14-2010 at 08:41 AM.

shmegege is offline Junior Member

Confusion

I am very confused on the zinc tests. According to the taste test I would be zinc deficient; however, blood tests show me with an EXCESS of zinc and a deficiency in copper. I have two different practitioners at odds over this. Can any one help shed any light on this for me? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    http://www.drcheryl.ca/basic_lab/zinc.html

I know a few people on here are supplementing with zinc. I found this test pretty interesting. Essentially you swish a zinc solution in your mouth and if you are zinc SUFFICIENT you will sense an immediate bitter taste. In contrast, if you are some level of zinc deficient then you will sense a taste ranging from nothing to a milder bitter taste.

Anyone tried this before?

Edit: To include criticism that the test can measure false positive or false negative depending on the testers overall taste sensitivity.

Zinc Tally Test Needs Blood Testing to Confirm Accuracy

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    How can any of us be zinc deficient? Liver, oysters, beef heart, bacon, all Primal staple foods, all RICH with zinc.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Puddleglumish is offline Member
    I was a chemistry student in 1988/9? when Professor Brice-Smith brought his 0.01M zinc sulphate solution round to try while we listened to the tale of how he discovered it and how it worked. It was just starting to appear in health food shops at the time. To me it tasted just like water, really inoffensive. To more healthy people though it was disgusting.

If you are deficient in a mineral then you don't perceive it as unpleasant because you need to eat it. As soon as you are no longer deficient then you start to taste it, particularly if it is fat soluble. For example chewy multivitamin tablets are foul if you don't need them.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Just mix some zinc iodide into some mashed potatoes and hit the trifecta, why don't you.

I am staying way the hell away from zinc. If I have even a little too much zinc, it spasms my lower intestine. I can't eat cereals like Total or Raisin Bran which are fortified with zinc (back when I was CW), or mineral-laden multivitamins or mineral-fortified protein powders And yes, it was the zinc. I tried the zinc lozenges when I had a cold. Frankly I'd rather have the cold than the spasming intestines.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I do this test with my clients all the time. I get my liquid zinc thru Biotics (whole food supplements), if anyone wants me to order them some.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    How can any of us be zinc deficient? Liver, oysters, beef heart, bacon, all Primal staple foods, all RICH with zinc.
    Easy, some people can't properly absorb it.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12