Thread: Effective dairy-free probiotics page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

Effective dairy-free probiotics

Primal Fuel
    Through a few things I'm chalking up as too much work and not enough play, I have found myself with pneumonia. Yippee.

I took myself into quick care yesterday, thinking I had a sinus infection, and ended up spending three plus hours there, chest x rays, EKG, blah blah blah, and ta-da! You have pneumonia. Which, in retrospect, DOES explain the chest pain I've been having, that I'd chalked up to too much coughing. I received, among other things, Rocephin via IV, and rx's for two abs to take concurrently-Zithromax (azithromycin) and Cefuroxime, along with LDN and multiple steroids.

Normally, I'd just nab a container of my delicious Greek Gods yogurt, and eat that with glee, or even just buy a bit of raw milk from my old cowshare gal and make homemade yogurt. Now that I'm dairy-free, however, I'm a bit perplexed as to what I can eat for 'good bugs'. I grabbed a thing of sauerkraut in the refridgerator section, because quite frankly, I don't quite feel like making it (I have and it's AWESOME-when it works).

What else will repopulate my drug-depleted self with good bacteria and keep me away from moo-juice? I live in a smallish town with not much in the way of health food stores-no Trader joes, no Whole Foods, not even a co-op within 30 miles.

Any good brands of probiotic supplements, even? I've always been skeptical of probiotic pills because I never know if they've been kept cold/gotten hot/way outdated/so on. Yogurt is all I've ever used, but I'm on a bit of a roll here flubber-wise, and I'd just as soon keep it up if possible.

Thanks!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Kombucha has probiotics. You probably can't buy that around there, but you could brew it for super cheap if you're looking for an ongoing solution.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I may be wrong but I think there was a thread floating around about real apple cider vinegar (such as Bragg) having probiotics.