Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working out at the office page

Russ is offline Senior Member

Working out at the office

Primal Fuel
    So, i hate taking the time to work out, i'd rather read, or something else, it just generally seems boring to do for any extended period of time. That being said i still want to be strong and lose weight etc.

I am trying now to get a little exercise in the workplace, here is what i've come up with thus far, let me know if you have any additional exercises that one can do in an office environment (without upsetting the workplace)

1. Bathroom workouts!!!

I've now started, every time i go to the bathroom i do 10 incline push-ups (against the handy-capt rail, or the sink) Obviously you can do more or less depending on your fitness level, and this might not even be a workout for anyone but im still fat and i can still feel my arms when i do 10 or so.

Squats! After your quick 10 push-ups do 10 or so squats, it doesn't take long, just do enough to where you can feel it, 10, 20 or w/e

2. Cubicle workouts!!

While sitting in the chair (with wheels) put your feet on the ground and move yourself back and forth, side to side, using only your abdomen and legs. It doesn't have to be far, but moving yourself around like this for a while will put a burn in your legs and your stomach (it does for me anyway)

3. Walking / Standing workouts

When standing talking to someone, or anywhere in the office, try doing it on one leg, its good for balance, and makes you're muscles work a little more. Go back and forth until you've got to start moving again

While standing, do a slight bend in the knees and hold a squat, if you're slick you can get away with this without looking weird, holding a bent knee squatting position for long enough will get your legs-a-burning

While walking, try some discrete lunge type movements, not ideal for a busy hallway but while relatively alone, it works out well.

Conclusion

Doing all of these things, over a 8-10 hour work day will actually give you a relatively good working (or it does for me anyway, people that can already to handstand push-ups and flag poles might not get as much out of it)

thoughts? recommendations? am i insane?
    Last edited by Russ; 10-13-2010 at 06:26 AM.
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    thoughts?
    Awesome.

recommendations?
    Do it.

am i insane?
    Completely.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I love bathroom workouts! Best money I've ever made.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic Flash View Post
    Awesome.

Do it.

Completely.
    What he said!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I've started doing a few pushups whenever I have the office to myself. I have jittery feet too (bored from sitting too long) so I happily bounce my legs as quietly as possible throughout the day. At the very least it's important to get up and stretch now and then. Any excuse to get up - more coffee/water, picking up printouts, etc. Always offer to help carry things, too.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I've done pushups in my office (I tried a 500 pushup/day program where I performed some pushups every 30 minutes or so throughout the day); isometrics, and some self resistence type exercises from the old Charles Atlas course (which actually has some really good applications in a supplementary way).

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Good for you! This sounds great. Don't you all find that it gives your energy a boost?
    I work at a university and there are lots of fun places to walk: hills, gardens, 96 step outdoor staircase, etc.

PeteTheMeat is offline Member
    Nice workouts, but I am a bit chicken to do oddball things in the office. Luckily, we have a little "cardio room" that stays unoccupied long enough at certain hours to go crank out some pushups, planks, etc. Anything from PB Fitness, except the pullups (I have asked HR if they might consider putting in a pullup bar but we'll see where that gets me).

anzy is offline Member
    I do workout, but I also like to get the blood pumping while I'm working. I've got the standing work station (read, two boxes on my desk with a blanket that I have my keyboard, monitor, and mousepad sitting on). I try to do the occasional squats, stretch frequently, and stuff while I'm standing at my desk. When I have to make copies, I jog in place while the machine is running if no one else is waiting.

My sink in the bathroom isn't sturdy so I can't do the incline pushups, but if it was, I would definitely do them and do some dips as well. I do dips on my desk sometimes, but it's a bit harder to explain if someone walks by my office (not that they don't already think I'm weird anyway with my boxes and vibrams).

On the rare occasion when I'm sitting down, I'll do some mini-crunches by lifting my legs up and lowering my stomach, holding myself up with my arms. I also frequently twist and turn my back and bend in various ways, especially when I realize I've just been standing forward for a while.

It really is hard to get a good workout going without looking odd, but good for you for trying to get some exercise!

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Try biking to work if you can. I do it a few days per week for all but the coldest and darkest 4 months of the year when I only do it maybe once a week. But you live in Florida so you don't have that excuse.
    It is a good way to get in your movement at low intensity and if you want once a week you can do some iintense sprints if you want. Of course it requires a certain level of facilities and organization that does not exist at every work place.

Check out this guy's article here on exercise at work:

http://worldsstrongestlibrarian.com/...-isnt-looking/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast