Thread: Healthy school meals? page

superseiyan is offline Member

Healthy school meals?

I've noticed when I read articles on healthy school meals, that:

1. It is based on caloric restriction--which is no good as the poor kids are probably still hungry and have their appetites stoked if they're eating the wrong things.

2. Wants to replace some of their food with things like boiled carrots or brocoli, which let's face it no kid is going to eat that. Even most of us health "freaks" don't eat celery and carrots as the base of our diet. this is bad because it trains the mind to equate eating healthy with boring, and bland food (this is not just a school problem, people in general think of broccoli and celery sticks when you tell them about eating healthy).

3. Have low-fat HIGH SUGAR versions of the same thing (i.e. skim chocolate milk).

All of these are counterproductive.

I'd say just focus on whole foods. Yes, if there's some potatoes in there, so be it, but IMO it'd be easier and is probably more palatable to most people.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Health school meals is an oxymoron like military intelligence. Our school also wants the kids to have morning and afternoon snacks to make sure their metabolisms don't slow down and most of the kids eat more junk food.

superseiyan is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Health school meals is an oxymoron like military intelligence. Our school also wants the kids to have morning and afternoon snacks to make sure their metabolisms don't slow down and most of the kids eat more junk food.
    I know. The poor kids. The way meals are setup now, even the "healthy" variations (in the USA at least), the kids literally HAVE to go to the vending machiens or get afternoon snacks. They're absolutely starving at around 10 a.m. (keep in mind they wakeup at 6) or 2:00 pm.