Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Query re oat bran / soluble fibre page

Sigi is offline Senior Member

Query re oat bran / soluble fibre

Hi Mark and everyone.

I'd just like to get your thoughts about the use of organic oat bran in my protein shakes. Before finding out about the Primal principles, I had been adding a tablespoon a day to my breakfast shake, and found it helped greatly with my regularity (I've often had elimination issues). Having read Mark's interesting posts on fibre and grains in general, I understand the general Primal view on insoluble fibre and the difficulties it may contribute to (internal irritation, nutrient binding, etc), but does the mainly soluble fibre in oat bran also cause the same difficulties?

Any other suggestions (of a dietary nature, that is) to assist in reducing constipation, if fruit, vegies and nuts just aren't doing enough for me? (And yes, I have read the delightful "pooping" articles and posts on MDA <g> I'm not quite up to balancing on the toilet seat in a full squat just yet!)

Thanks!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Don't know about oatbran, but I've used linseeds (=flaxseeds) occasionally. Those would qualify as 'primal' and I assume (don't know for sure) that since the seeds exude a slippery gel when wet, they wouldn't cause irritation. You may find things settle and you don't need anything after a while, though.

localad is offline Senior Member
    I thought most of the nasty bits in grains were in the outer bits and skin?

Get enough Fat in your food and constipation won't be a problem. Everything will slip out a treat!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by localad View Post
    Get enough Fat in your food and constipation won't be a problem. Everything will slip out a treat!
    It's taken me 2 months on primal and (maybe) the addition of magnesium supplements to get comfortable, and even then, "slip out a treat" is overstating it a little I eat plenty of fat. I think it's just that years of bran intake made my gut dependent on it, and it's taken this long to adjust.

I'm glad I didn't add any fiber during the transition--I really think that would have prolonged the problem.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

DebbyL is offline Junior Member
    So, you're saying that things soften up after 2 months... how much fat do you eat?
    I've been doing Primal for 7 weeks now... I take lots of magnesium (scared to use much more), eat ground flax seeds, & crushed fennel seeds. I also am hypothyroid (on meds), so this gives me a pre - disposition to problems in this area. I really want to stay with Primal, but am afraid that I will have to add oat bran or psllium to stay healthy.
    Any other things that are actually primal that I could add to my diet? Or how much 'fat' should I be eating?
    Thanks.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Fiber hardens up stool, not the other way around. Drop the crushed flax seeds.

You might be eating *too much* fiber. Eat fruits, sweet potatoes, potatoes and drink plenty of water. Take a tsp of coconut oil with your coffee & magnesium. Drink warm water to pass things along.

My friend kept eating more and more fiber and getting more and more constipated until her doctor told her she had too much fiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 11-04-2013 at 07:35 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Fiber hardens up stool, not the other way around. Drop the crushed flax seeds.

You might be eating *too much* fiber. Eat fruits, sweet potatoes, potatoes and drink plenty of water. Take a tsp of coconut oil with your coffee & magnesium. Drink warm water to pass things along.
    Why warm water? Isn't it all the same temperature by the time it gets to the bottom?
    The Champagne of Beards

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Why warm water? Isn't it all the same temperature by the time it gets to the bottom?
    Warm water helps one go. Try it next time you get constipation.

In other words, I could offer possible scientific explanations but I don't know the real reason so I don't want to fake science. I just know it works.
    Last edited by turquoisepassion; 11-04-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    Warm water helps one go. Try it next time you get constipation.

In other words, I could offer possible scientific explanations but I don't know the real reason so I don't want to fake science. I just know it works.
    I'll try it some time. I know coffee does the trick for me, but I assumed that was the caffeine and maybe the heavy cream.
    The Champagne of Beards

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Home-made yoghourt is good; home-made kefir is the bee's knees. (If bees' knees were a cure for constipation.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast