Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cost of food... page

momofredheads is offline Senior Member

cost of food...

I know a lot of people say it is expensive to eat Primal, but I have to say I eat way less now then I ever did on any other plan. We aren't spending any more money on groceries then when we were buying all crap, because we are all eating less....just wanted to say that for those who are fearing about the money and the food.
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    ive never shopped for myself and eatten junk/processed food so i can only speak for primal...if you want to eat fresh and local....for ME it is expensive as hell. there is one farmers market...ONE, veered toward vegetarians...and we have walmart...we have lots of local gulf caught seafood but the prices are downright highway robbery. at the grocery store this week...rib eye was 17.99 A LB! chuck eye was even 11.99. ground chuck 4.49

i can make food stretch a mile...egg based quiches full of fat and a lb of meat, canned sardines, canned mackerel, canned salmon frozen veggies

Wow MalPaz that is very expensive. I live with farms all around me within walking distance I could get fresh farm eggs for $2.50 for 3 dozen, fresh beef, you name it and we are close enough to the ocean to get fresh seafood so I guess I am fortunate. The only thing I wish we had was a Whole Foods, but we have Wegmans so that does well for now.
    ~*Lori*~

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by momofredheads View Post
    Wow MalPaz that is very expensive. I live with farms all around me within walking distance I could get fresh farm eggs for $2.50 for 3 dozen, fresh beef, you name it and we are close enough to the ocean to get fresh seafood so I guess I am fortunate. The only thing I wish we had was a Whole Foods, but we have Wegmans so that does well for now.

thing is i live in mississippi....the poorest most obese state in the US.... gulf seafood is literally 30 mins away and the cost is ludacris and you cant go to the gulf to get yoru own seafood now(post oil spill) so it sucks. we dont have whole foods or trader joes either. my farm eggs are now 5.50 a dozen

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    thing is i live in mississippi....the poorest most obese state in the US.... gulf seafood is literally 30 mins away and the cost is ludacris and you cant go to the gulf to get yoru own seafood now(post oil spill) so it sucks. we dont have whole foods or trader joes either. my farm eggs are now 5.50 a dozen
    Wow that is a shame. It is hard to believe that in this country of plenty that where people need the most help there isn't any. I grew up and lived in NJ all my life we recently crossed the border to PA about 3 years ago, the housing market was way to out of control and the taxes were too in NJ we had to get out. Despite all that, the cost of food was piddly in comparison, but I guess when your taxes are 20,000.00 a year on a 1/3 of an acre then you really are paying more for groceries LOL. Since we moved to PA we saved about 17,000.00 in taxes but the price of food went up, not by much but it went up, we are used to it now, we just end up going more to the local farmers rather than the grocery store, but I can tell you our annual groceries budget doesn't even scratch the 17,000.00 we saved from moving 60 miles.
    ~*Lori*~

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I primarily shop at Whole Foods. We probably spend more than we need to if I'd bargain shop a bit more. I tend to overbuy veggies, which can sometimes go to waste (to the dogs or the bunny or the compost bin, so it's never truly wasted).
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I tend to way overbuy meat and I'm starting to fill up my freezer. I need to start reminding myself that most of the time I'm just feeding myself and sometimes my son.

gator70 is offline Member
    I think my grocery bills have gotten cheaper over time as I have figured out how to shop primally. Sticker shock was high early on that's for sure.

AuntPol is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on a lot of factors. The cheapest I see egss is $2.50 a dozen for organic. Our Farmer's Market is outrageously expensive compared to the grocery store loss leaders. Plus I have to factor gas-Whole foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joes and the farmer's market all on the other side of town. Then of course, my family isn't primal so I don't have the trade-offs of pay an extra few dollars for the orgnic meat but a few dollars less for cereal and bread. I am paying a few dollars more for the meat and a few more for gluten-free/healthier versions of the non primal stuff for the family. Then there is the sudden stocking up on good oils, etc that are not going to be weekly buys.

However-I think it will lessen over time as my family gets more and more primal.

doghead is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My food bill went from approximately 450/month for me and my dog, to about 240/month, over the course of about 6 months. Not complaining!
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast