Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck... Thai Kitchen coconut milk = solid?! page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

What the heck... Thai Kitchen coconut milk = solid?!

Primal Fuel
    I got a can of Thai Kitchen coconut milk because I hear it's good... just opened it and uhh, it's not liquid? Just white solid. Like, more solid than our coconut oil is. Er... is this normal?

Our house is at 74 degrees... I've searched and seen some references to it having solid cream on top, but as far as I can tell/hear, there's no liquid in here at all.

Whaaaa?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    did u shake the hell out of it before it opened it ...
    silly q i know but it mat be as simple as that

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    sounds like coconut cream, not milk. That stuff is inpenetrable...are you sure you got 'milk'?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean, as far as you can tell? It's like two thirds solid creamy stuff and one third water at the bottom. Scoop it into a bowl and mix it up with the water.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    Thai Kitchen is very thick. If you want one that isn't as thick try Chaokoh.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Mog -- it said "milk", yeah. It certainly doesn't look like all the other cans of coconut milk I've ever opened, hence my asking...

Kiwineil -- never occurred to me to shake it (see previous sentence). I'll keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    What do you mean, as far as you can tell? It's like two thirds solid creamy stuff and one third water at the bottom. Scoop it into a bowl and mix it up with the water.
    Good to know -- I stabbed it a few times with a knife and tried upending it to see if any liquid came out. But I didn't realize it was _mostly_ solid -- the "stab wounds" probably sealed shut when I turned it over.

So I'll scooping all that out, let's see... Dang, yes, there is some liquid down there. Majority was that cream solid, though!

Wow. Coconut cream... it sounds delicious, I just wanted to make sure this is normal and not like... moldy or something. (Coconuts and I have a bad track record.) Thanks everybody.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    haha cream on top the water is usually on bottom...pour it in a container and shake it

about coconut cream...i hear my farmers market it gonna start carryiong it!

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    I usually soak the can in hot water then shake it up. Once opened, I transfer it to a jar to store in the refrigerator. I usually go through a can a day ( in coffee and tea).

Steve-O is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. We have under-cabinet lighting. When I leave the can on the bottom shelf right above the lights for a couple of hours, it softens up nicely. I can imagine submerging it in hot water would have the same effect.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan M View Post
    I usually soak the can in hot water then shake it up. Once opened, I transfer it to a jar to store in the refrigerator. I usually go through a can a day ( in coffee and tea).
    A can a day? Good god, even though i average around 3k cals a day one can is 1k calories.. that's 1/3rd the days allowance in one can!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast