Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Parents page

Obsidian is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Help with Parents

Shop Now
    I just stumbled on this site a few days ago and I read the Mark's article about grains. His article explaining how grains are not good for you made so much sense. So I attempted to eliminate grains from my diet. I was doing great until my parents forced me to eat grains again because they thought that grains were important in a healthy diet. I've been trying to convince them that grains aren't that healthy but they don't believe me. And my parents are doctors so they think that i got this "crazy idea" from an unreliable source. My parents also say that grain is at the base of the food pyramid and that according to the American Heart Association, whole grains are beneficial to your health... so I'm really confused now...help? Thanks.

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    How old are you?

1. If old enough you can simply wait till you are on your own and then do what you want.
    2. You can challenge them to prove it and if they challenge you back then well you know where to come to get pointed in the right direction for your research.
    3. Do what they ask but try to limit the grains you eat. Young people are resilient and you will survive eating grains although you may end up fat like me.
    4. I work in the medical field...... you don't have to tell me how important Dr.'s think they are.

Anybody else?

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Well I have roughly the same problem, although I pretty much beat my parent's into submission. Personally my mother had a few freak outs over me not "wanting" to eat her cooking, my solution simply boiled down to consistently insisting she make me grilled chicken and steamed veggies or I will I eat only eggs I make myself and microwaveable birdseye vegetables.....It worked in the end and my parents gave in to my desire to eat straight meat, although I conceded on some sauces just because it wasn't worth the added fight, and steamed veggies.

Seconded how old are you and added question, how anti-your way are they?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    As for whether you "need" grains, most people say that on the assumption that they're the best source of fiber. Well, veggies and even berries are a better source of fiber. Even almond meal has 3x the fiber of oatmeal, and a lower GI (glycemic index). These comparisons might help:
    http://hbfser.wordpress.com/2010/07/...-talk-numbers/

Basically if you can get them to stop and think about it, there's nothing in grains that you can't get from another source with better vitamins and other nutrients. (Even carbohydrates -- you're far better off eating berries and other high-fiber fruit as a carb source!)

Trying to convince people grains are "toxic" will always be a tough sell. Instead, try to focus on the idea that grains A) displace other more nutritious foods from the diet, and B) you're trying to reduce insulin spikes from high-carb meals; tell them you're trying to eat low GI. If there's any diabetes history in your family, this is great prevention.

And of course there's plenty of actual research you could point to.

Vozz is offline Senior Member
    watch the movie "fat head" with them.. its not about grains, but it does mention them.
    fat head unintentionally supports the primal life style and may make your parents reconsider their positions on conventional wisdom.
    We need to have a global discussion about the epidemic of donut murder

Starting Weight: 238 lb
    Current Weight: 224 lb
    Goal: 190-200 lb
    Height: 6'-0"

Obsidian is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the advice! My parents are just worried that I'm not going to get enough fiber and carbs in my diet by eliminating grains. So i guess I'll just limit my grain consumption. I've never been a fat of grains anyways... oh.... and I'm 15.

haha "fat head"?... never heard of it but the movie sounds funny! I'll try watching it!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    if your parents are doctors, i would hope that they are filled with curiosity and the open mindedness to learn more. show them the research. doctors often times aren't all that up to date on nutrition and fitness...and learning about this might make them even better at their jobs.

if you're eating primal, your parents shouldn't worry for a moment about you getting enough fiber. we eat more vegetables than anything else.

NutMeg is offline Senior Member
    Ask your parents to read the book Good Calories Bad Calories, or In Defense of Food. The first is all about medical/nutrition research, as doctors they should 'get it'. The second is a bit easier to read, but still a great stepping stone to a primal lifestyle.

Also, go to google scholar and search for low carbohydrate, llok at recent articles that point ot the health of LC diets. Also google paleolithic diet, there is an article that points to it being the best option for people that are diebetic. Granted you are not diabetic, but if the SAD causes diabetes, why not eat in a way that will prevent it!

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Load your plate up with salad and meat and veggies, then squeeze a small serving of pasta/rice into the corner. Parents won't usually object if their kids get cravings for massive salads.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Hopefully I will be able to let mine out of the basement soon. I'm sick of doing my own laundry. They must learn!
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast