Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Parents page 2

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hello Obsidian,

Watch a Gary Taubes lecture on Youtube.He completely debunks various myths about grains, cholesterol,fatness etc.

Then get your parents to view same. I'm certain they will be intrigued
    Last edited by megalodon; 10-13-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    On the topic of books, there's a really good book called "The Primal Blueprint" that you could try to get them to read...

Leave it in the bathroom. They'll pick it up sooner or later.

Obsidian is offline Junior Member
    Wow...smart... why didn't i think of that?! haha.... unfortunately, i showed my parents the book (I just got it yesterday! and I'm so excited to read into it ) and they said that the book was an unreliable source just because Mark Sission didn't have the letters Ph.D or MD, etc after his name. My parents told me that I should listen to the food pyramid, the American Heart Association, the USDA, etc. So now I'm confused....

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Don't be confused, be curious. Start with some of the resources mentioned earlier and begin arming yourself.

Vozz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    My parents told me that I should listen to the food pyramid, the American Heart Association, the USDA, etc. So now I'm confused....
    dude watch fat head, like tomorrow (especially the last half of the movie).
    being a 15 yr old in the digital age, im sure you can find it somewhere on the internet, or rent/buy it if its available.
    Last edited by Vozz; 10-13-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    We need to have a global discussion about the epidemic of donut murder

Starting Weight: 238 lb
    Current Weight: 224 lb
    Goal: 190-200 lb
    Height: 6'-0"

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Great suggestions so far. If I was that young and was interested in the primal lifestyle then I would simply slowly but surely begin to eat MORE of the primal foods that are served at dinner and then less of the foods that are NOT primal. Educate yourself daily on the primal lifestyle and when you feel you "get it" try your best to explain a few things to your parents. Find studies and show your parents.

Listen to what your parents have to say and be open minded but as you begin to feel awesome by eating less grains let them know!

And, ask them this... "Mother, father, please tell me the advantages of eating grains compared to vegetables, if there are any. You tell me I should eat grains but from my understanding vegetables are way healthier. So, why do I need to eat grains?"

And, its difficult for a lot of people to go primal simply because grains are waaaaaaaaaaay cheaper. I am personally falling off a little because I am really struggling financially. But, I am doing the best I can and will always be as primal as my wallet allows. I just need to eat more eggs! But, for you, if both your parents are doctors then eating a 100% paleo diet should not be a problem. Eat LOTS of veggies, including greens and a fair amount of meat too.

And, think about how lucky you are to be diving into the primal lifestyle at age 15!!!!! Be patient and hang in there... you are one lucky fellow!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    Oh, if they want PhD and similar letters, pick up a copy of Taubes and leave that in the bathroom.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Show them this article:

"The Way We Were"
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/artic...he-way-we-were

Someone in another thread brought this to the board's attention, said their chiropractor gave it to him/her to read and it changed their life.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I just stumbled on this site a few days ago and I read the Mark's article about grains. His article explaining how grains are not good for you made so much sense. So I attempted to eliminate grains from my diet. I was doing great until my parents forced me to eat grains again because they thought that grains were important in a healthy diet. I've been trying to convince them that grains aren't that healthy but they don't believe me. And my parents are doctors so they think that i got this "crazy idea" from an unreliable source. My parents also say that grain is at the base of the food pyramid and that according to the American Heart Association, whole grains are beneficial to your health... so I'm really confused now...help? Thanks.
    Your parents "FORCED you to eat grains"...? What did they do - hold you down and shove them down your throat...? Hold a gun to your head until you'd finished what was on your plate...? How, exactly, did they "force" you...? Ever heard of a little word called "no' - or even "No thank you, Mum, I'm not eating grains anymore - I'm not a little kid, I can decide what I eat". My mother would have been happy with that when I was younger.

So, if your mum really did "force" you, I'd be getting in touch with social services...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Oh, they want initials after the name?

Look up Dr. Jonny Bowden, on YouTube. Not only does he have a PhD in nutrition, he is also in his 60s or maybe even 70s by now and looks absolutely incredible! He says in one video that back in the 1980s (when he was eating SAD -- standard American diet -- what your parents want you to eat), he looked 20 years older than he does now.

Ask your parents how many of their 70-year-old patients who are following the USDA's food pyramid look like Dr. Jonny Bowden.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast