Thread: Whey Powder Petrochemical page

shoreline is offline Member

Whey Powder Petrochemical

Primal Fuel
    I noticed reading through the forum that many Primal Participants use Whey powder.
    My undertanding is Whey Powder often uses Hexane (a petrochemical) in production.
    As well I understand that Whey powder is best in concentrated forms and not from Isolate for health issues. I personally use organic Hemp protein powder as there is No hexane, is cold processed and no chemicals used in it's production whereas Whey protein isolate to my understanding is often damaged by heat is production, chemicals in the cows and Hexane as noted above. Also Hemp has been around since 8000 BC and contains all the amino acids
    Any insights are appreciated

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    The only references I can find about hexane and protein powders are about soy powder being processed with hexane, not whey powder. They all argue it as a reason to go for whey instead of soy protein. (Wouldn't surprise me if hemp is hexane-free too, but regardless...)

Whey is really easy extract from milk (it drains naturally when cheese is made) so the idea of using hexane solvent puzzles me, anyway. Got any references for the hexane + whey thing?

Here's an example of a Whey Protein Company advertising they don't use chemicals

http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=2440

100% certified organic whey protein powder formula

The full health, muscle recuperation and anti-oxidant benefit of normal whey protein

Cold filtered, solvent free extraction Extra convenient stand up, resealable pouch, to lock in freshness every time

Gluten free, wheat free
    Derived from certified organic milk from free range/non-gmo
    grain fed, BSE-free dairy cows
    One last point that is of the utmost importance: manufacturing processes are vital to the bio availability of the protein source. For example, hexane is used in the manufacturing of most whey and soy protein powders. Hexane is a petroleum solvent similar is chemical structure to gasoline.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Whey-Too-C...oals&id=812345

Don'tcha think maybe they mean as opposed to soy proteins that famously use hexane?...

Considering there are plenty of whey powders that advertise that they don't use hexane, I wouldn't equate all whey with petrochemicals. That's all I'm sayin'.

I agree they mean only som Whey powders. I'm trying to learn more about primal and not sure how Whey fits in with being primal.

Whey's pretty popular for people who want a convenient way to get more protein, so it comes up a lot here. As for whether it's primal, well of course Grok wouldn't have had access to powdered milk extracts! I'd call it 20% personally.

Whether dairy itself qualifies as primal seems to be a frequent topic here as well...

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    I never really got going on the protein powder thing, and the more I think about it the more I think I'll give it a miss.

If you have protein of some kind, and it ends up being a powder, doesn't that mean that it's been through some kind of factory process, and is oxidized?

When people in fancy new books talk about the TOR pathway, they say these days that moderate protein of good quality is much better than having tons and tons of it. So why would we be wanting to add powdered protein to drinks all the time? What's wrong with meat, eggs, fish, maybe some dairy like a good quality cheese?

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    Here is what Mark has to say on the subject. Hemp it seems is lower in protein. I use whey to bump up my protein intake sometimes, but a lot of the time I'll mix it in with food rather than make a drink out of it.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-egg-white-casein-pea-hemp-rice-protein-powder-supplement/

amzzzy is offline Junior Member
    I currently use a "grass-fed" whey protein powder from www.bioactivenutrients.com. I would like to learn more about Mark's new Primal Protein powder. Does anyone know if it uses "grass-fed" whey?

sweetpurityorganics is offline Junior Member

Question organic whey protein

organic whey :- Best organic whey protein on the market today. #1 choice in taste test.

organic whey protein :- Best organic whey protein on the market today. #1 choice in taste test.
    Attached Images Attached Images