Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Canned Sardines? page 5

Odar is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    You can buy those in Australia too. They are the ones I eat.
    +1 - Love the brunswick sardines

netmouser is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I'm not sure honestly. I know that many stainless steel cans use BPA though. I emailed the makers of Brunswick sardines and they replied that since the can was aluminum, it did not have a BPA lining. I also read on a thread here that Black Top salmon cans are BPA-free.
    Brunswick and other brands by Bumble Bee are NOT BPA free. I just received an email and they simply say that per the FDA the amounts in canned foods are safe. They wrote "We have been in contact with our can manufacturers and they indicate that in agreement with The Food and Drug Administration, the levels of Bisphenol-A present in canned food poses no threat to human health. " You can inquire further emailing to Bumble Bee Consumer Affairs at: ConsAffairs@bumblebee.com

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Ah that sucks I eat Brunswick sardines almost every day.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by netmouser View Post
    Brunswick and other brands by Bumble Bee are NOT BPA free. I just received an email and they simply say that per the FDA the amounts in canned foods are safe. They wrote "We have been in contact with our can manufacturers and they indicate that in agreement with The Food and Drug Administration, the levels of Bisphenol-A present in canned food poses no threat to human health. " You can inquire further emailing to Bumble Bee Consumer Affairs at: ConsAffairs@bumblebee.com
    Hmm. Maybe they have changed to using BPA since I received my email reply back in 2010. Here is what they told me at that time (16 August 2010):

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our Brunswick Sardines in Spring Water.

No, it does not as the can is made of aluminum, only when the product is canned in a steel metal container a anamel coating is apply inside the can.

Thank you,
    Bumble Bee Consumer Affairs

Skydiver is offline Member
    damn, looks like you just can't escape it! However for those of you living in the UK check out Waitrose's fish bar: sometimes they sell four large sardines for less than a pound!

ConcernedChemist is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Hmm. Maybe they have changed to using BPA since I received my email reply back in 2010. Here is what they told me at that time (16 August 2010):

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your concerns regarding our Brunswick Sardines in Spring Water.

No, it does not as the can is made of aluminum, only when the product is canned in a steel metal container a anamel coating is apply inside the can.

Thank you,
    Bumble Bee Consumer Affairs
    As of May 2012, all of the interior coatings for any BB product produced out of the Blacks Harbour canning plant have non BPA liners for both the cans and ends.
    Imported cans (any metal) and steel cans may still have BPA based liners.

Salmon cans are mostly made with a PET based laminated coating (which has no BPA).

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about their BPA status but Trader Joe's has canned sardines that are good and are packed in water rather than oil, so no worries about bad seed oils or anything. I eat a few cans a week.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Vital Choice sells Portuguese sardines packed in organic EVO and packed in BPA free "tins" at 24 for $90. They are a little pricey but their BPA free tins also hold a bit more than a normal sized sardine tin so you get a bit more bang for your buck. I also remember reading that Vital Choice claims their EVO brand tests out slightly better than their spring water brand. I think they said it had something to do with the EVO protecting the oils in the fish from oxidation and leaching (all sardines are cooked in the can after packing).

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I don't know about their BPA status but Trader Joe's has canned sardines that are good and are packed in water rather than oil, so no worries about bad seed oils or anything. I eat a few cans a week.
    I also use TJ's sardines, but I love their olive oil version, the only ingredients are sardines, olive oil, salt.
    The can does not have a liner, so I presume BPA free.

If I could find fresh sardines, I'd buy some but in the US it's not easy. Even Whole Foods does not usually carry them

Plancheta of sardines, yum!! I wish!!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

Karock is offline Member
    So please excuse my ignorance, but do you chow the bones? Or are you supposed to pick them out? I opened a can yesterday, by the time I'd picked out the spine and pin bones I was annoyed at the thing. I can't see that picking them out is standard practice, but it seems very odd to eat them.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast