Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canned Sardines? page 3

Lizzie125 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks for writing to Bumblebee--that is good to hear!

Brisling sardines are expensive, but are my favorite because they are so small. They also seem less fishy.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Brunswick do sardines in olive oil and only that. It's not cut with soya or sunflower or anything else..... and they're yum!

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    Well, the news from King Oscar isn't great; I can't say I'm onboard with the sardines being cooked in a lacquer lined can...

Thank you for your questions to King Oscar. We always appreciate to hear
    from our valued customers.

The material in the can is aluminum, and it is protected with a coating
    of lacquer inside the can. All food contact materials used by King Oscar
    are in full compliance with existing law requirements (e.g. FDA, EU
    regulations).

The Sardines are cooked in the cans during sterilization.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Best regards,
    Torgeir Heggelund
    King Oscar
    P.O box 987 Sentrum
    N-5808 Bergen
    Norway
    Phone: (+47) 55 96 70 00
    Telefax (+47) 55 96 76 99

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Lacquer? That doesn't sound so great. I quick Google led me to this:

From Environ Health Perspect. 1995 June; 103(6): 608612.
    PMCID: PMC1519121
    Xenoestrogens released from lacquer coatings in food cans.
    We present data showing that some foods preserved in lacquer-coated cans and the liquid in them may acquire estrogenic activity. Hormonal activity was measured using the E-screen bioassay. The biological activity of vegetables packed in cans was a result of plastic monomers used in manufacturing the containers. The plastic monomer bisphenol-A, identified by mass spectrometry, was found as a contaminant not only in the liquid of the preserved vegetables but also in water autoclaved in the cans. The amount of bisphenol-A in the extracts accounted for all the hormonal activity measured. Although the presence of other xenoestrogens cannot be ruled out, it is apparent that all estrogenic activity in these cans was due to bisphenol-A leached from the lacquer coating. The use of plastic in food-packaging materials may require closer scrutiny to determine whether epoxy resins and polycarbonates contribute to human exposure to xenoestrogens.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1519121

Too bad, King Oscar is my favorite brand.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    I received this reply from King Oscar after expressing my displeasure with the lacquer coating:

All aluminium containers are coated with a lacquer that is protecting the content from the aluminium (or metal) in the can.
    Metal containers without protecting coating/lacquer will contaminate food content.

King Oscar buy cans from manufacturer in Canada and Europe.
    All internal lacquers in our cans are formulated according to the food contact requirements from the FDA (CFR 21, 175.300) and relevant European legislation (i.e. Reg. 1895/2004 and Reg. 1895/2005).
    Lacquers are formulated without any use of epoxy resins such as BADGE, BFDGE and NOGE. No Bisphenol A is used in the formulation of the lacquers and their raw materials.

Does anyone have relevant info about the safety of this type of coating?

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by codeguy View Post
    In the US, you can buy Brunswick Sardines in Water, No Salt Added. This is one of my favorites. I can put hot sauce on them and not be adding it to sardines already loaded with salt.
    You can buy those in Australia too. They are the ones I eat.

ConcernedChemist is offline Junior Member
    All aluminum sardine cans have to have a lacquer coating so that they can be fabricated and to protect the metal from oxidizing when exposed to the packed product. Water and salt will slowly corrode and create holes in the can over time without a good coating.

Currently, all of the US produced sardine cans have BPA containing lacquers. However the amount of BPA that could be extracted is very very low. BB and Conners have been working to replace this coating and it may happen soon but there is no current legislative requirement to remove the BPA coatings.

This will only change by contacting the company and expressing your views and opinions as consumers. It is a little disturbing that the PR group from BB is saying that there is no coating.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    hmmm ill keep eating sardines, canned mackerel, canned clams and live on the edge

pucca is offline Member
    i LOVE sardines and all fish in general, but can only eat small ones due to mercury toxicity. i eat pickled herring, which comes in glass jars, so no worry about toxic linings or aluminum. but i do eat lots of canned sardines too, and i'm glad i read this post. that sucks about the aluminum and bpa. i don't need more heavy metals or toxins. i wish we could buy fresh raw sardines here in the US. in japan i had raw sardines and they were yummy. i do eat wild alaskan salmon that i order from alaska too. although im' really not supposed to eat anything from the ocean, including seaweeds and sea salt. chlorella, etc. i've heard from a few people that EVERYTHING is contaminated. oh well, what can we do...........

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by pucca View Post
    i wish we could buy fresh raw sardines here in the US.
    Try an Asian grocery store. I went to H-mart today and they had fresh, whole, wild-caught sardines there...
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast