Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I used to love red wine. page

I used to love red wine.

Primal Fuel
    I'm a little sad about this. I used to drink 1-2 glasses of red wine a night. Last night I poured a glass of my favorite $3 cabernet and it was like drinking juice. Just really really too sweet. Guess I might have to switch to expensive dry bubbly or something else. What do you guys like to drink?

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    if it's $3, it ain't wine!

jk. hubby is in the wine biz so we are snobs. We mostly drink Oregon Pinot Noir. sooooooooooo good...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I like really dry bitter red wines, I can't remember the name of this one Italian wine I tried at one of my jobs, but it was IT... I think I prefer such wines because I can't really drink too much of them so it's a good way to not go over board. I can't really stand any white wine.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    A good Pinot Noir is by far my favorite wine! I've never liked very sweet wines.

Regardless, I never go over a glass or two in one sitting. Being drunk is not my cup of tea and I've found that since going Primal, I can start to feel a little buzz after just one glass.

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    $3 wine ? isnt that what u put in yr lawn mower ?

pinot noir for me

peril is offline Senior Member
    Shiraz for me. Cabernet is much fruitier

stockjohn is offline Senior Member
    I probably go through at least one bottle of red wine a week. I've never found a decent bottle for $3 but recently I discovered Barsao Campo de Borja. Its only $7 a bottle and its really surprisingly good. Not as dry as a pinot but definitely more substantial and nowhere near as sweet as most reds. It tastes like a $20 bottle. Just stock up and order a case. Its also great for sauces for beef and lamb. If you can find the 2005 that's the best one but the 2008 and 09 are fine.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    A subject after my own heart. I love wine. Personally I like a good Zinfandel, or Shiraz, or Petit Syrah, ha ha... Pinot Noir is good but not my favorite. Though Elwyne has a good point, Oregon Pinot is really good. I could go on and on but I don't want to bore you. I think with every type of wine, each wine maker has their own technique that adds different quality's so I think trial and error is a good thing. Unless you know what you like in a wine. Personally I like a really Oaky wine, especially in a Chardoney, but I like red best.

The Big L is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightlystarched View Post
    I'm a little sad about this. I used to drink 1-2 glasses of red wine a night. Last night I poured a glass of my favorite $3 cabernet and it was like drinking juice. Just really really too sweet. Guess I might have to switch to expensive dry bubbly or something else. What do you guys like to drink?
    I don't believe I've ever seen a $3 bottle of wine. You're talking about $3/bottle, not $3/glass, right?

Anyway, I can relate. Red wines are my favorite, but I've always had trouble finding varieties I like that aren't too sweet. And ever since PB got me to dump the sugary snacks, everything tastes twice as sweet as it used to. I systematically went through all the cabernet's sold by local stores until I found one with a tolerable level of sweetness. The brand is 'Smoking Loon'. I'm reasonably happy with it, and it's pretty cheap (under $10 for 750 ml I believe, though local/state taxes can probably change this figure a lot).

I've just begun my search for a pinot noir that is flavorful, not too bitter, and not too sweet. No luck yet. :\

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    $3 a bottle. Really. Its like two-buck-chuck (which is now three-buck-chuck) but sold at my favorite Tesco-derived grocery. The "house" brand, if you will. I think it is Big Kahuna. It is a Cabernet/Shiraz blend and so very delicious (or at least I used to think so).

I will have to experiment to find a new wine-for-cooking (but not cooking wine!) I like to drink whilst in the kitchen.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast