Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lactose Intolerance page

Ronin. is offline Junior Member

Lactose Intolerance

Primal Fuel
    Ive been primal for two months now, and I've recently noticed stomach aches after my protein shake. Eliminated milk, used water. Same problem. The days of no milk I feel fine. My question is this, could the gene expression from the diet change turn on a lactose intolerant gene?

lcme is offline Senior Member
    The first important question to help you with your problem is:

were you eating this EXACT same shake before you were primal without any stomach problems?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I can't tolerate lactose anymore, but my protein shake doesn't bother me. You could try other brands and see if you still have issues.

No, but I was taking it and drinking milk for a month without noticing this after I went primal. I seem to remember reading that genes turn on after two weeks of the change in diet

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Yeah genes upregulate and downregulate. It would not be as extreme as reducing expression of a gene that you have consistently required in order to metabolize lactose.

It is much more likely that it is increased sensitivity to a pre-existing problem OR something to do with how you are eating the milk.

Do you get the same problem if you have cream in your coffee? Are there any other ways that you consume dairy? Basically you have to approach this as a science experiment.

Butter and Sargento cheese doesn't seem to bother me.

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin. View Post
    Butter and Sargento cheese doesn't seem to bother me.
    Generally butter, yoghurt, cheese and cream are low in lactose and don't bother most lactose intolerant people

Lactose is a sugar so check the carb/sugar content on the pack if it has one.

However some products can have added lactose - http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ekende/lactose.htm

I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance a few years ago as I had all the classic symptoms such as stomach bloating, cramps and screaming diarrhoea!

Since eliminating grains my lactose intolerance has disappeared! I can now drink lots of milk with no issues - course I shouldn't be drinking lots of milk on PB should I eh? ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin. View Post
    Ive been primal for two months now, and I've recently noticed stomach aches after my protein shake. Eliminated milk, used water. Same problem. The days of no milk I feel fine. My question is this, could the gene expression from the diet change turn on a lactose intolerant gene?
    Your protein shake probably doesn't have much lactose in it either. Have you checked? What brand is it?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is it this one?

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/vitamins-sup...otein/1246078/

If it is, then it's a brand I have used in the past but I didn't think it was that good. It's a cheap brand. It didn't upset my tummy though.

If you are lactose intolerant then go for the undenatured isolate type of whey protein. They are usually very low in lactose.

http://wheyproteinisolate.net/diet-f...atured-isolate

I cant really recommend a brand as I am in the UK - I buy from here http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

Hope this helps you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast