Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it realistically possible to bulid muscle and lose fat at the same time?>>>>>> page

UpErMei is offline Member

Is it realistically possible to bulid muscle and lose fat at the same time?>>>>>>

Shop Now
    I just started lifting weights again (Body Pump classes 2-3 times a week) and so far am enjoying the feeling of empowerment! I do have some questions though.....

Honestly, my #1 goal is a reduction in body fat and my close #2 goal is getting stronger. Don't get me wrong, I do care about strength, but I'm a woman and just want to be a bit smaller. Please no flames for this.

I'm currently about 152 lbs and around 38% bf (I'm 5'4"). I'd love to get down to 128-133 lbs and 21-23% bf. My goals are modest because I do love having curves and my dh actually said to me "Don't lose too much!" Yeah, I'm lucky I guess, but I want to lose weight for me.

Ok, my question is....Can you really gain muscle and lose bf simultaneously? Has anyone here done this? What did your diet look like? I find myself ravenous at times, so I eat protein and fat, but I'm worried that I'm eating too much.

Anyway, tia!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Losing fat while gaining muscle is the holy grail of the fitness and body building world and it is not an easy task. Yes, it is possible in that your body will add muscle if you're working your muscles and getting enough protein. Running a calorie deficit is required to lose weight of course which makes it harder to get up the energy to work your muscles.
    Usually when someone loses a lot of fat by running a calorie deficit for a long time they will also lose some lean body mass as well. Conversely a lot of strength training types will add on fat during a bulking (or fulking in extreme cases) phase in addition to lean body mass. Doing both at the same time requires a delicate balance.

For the record, I am on a high protein, moderate fat, and low carb diet (with occasional re-feeds) and I'm a big fan of IFing. Check out Martin Berkhan's http://www.leangains.com

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Is it really that hard? I guess I assumed that because I'm gaining strenth - by a lot - that I am gaining muscle. Maybe hat's not the case? Does it matter if one isn't a body builder?

Either maintaining or gaining muscle mass is fine with me. I'm just curious.

It seems to me that the real issue here would be for someone who's trying to bulk up rather just 'be fit'. Interested in hearing your thoughts, Daemon....or anyone else who's inclined to answer

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I've always heard that when you're new to strength training you can pretty easily lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Different folks define "new" differently... it might even be possible for your first 3-5 YEARS of heavy lifting! (I haven't kept track of which guru says what on this topic, so I've got no references for you, just going by memories of things I've read.)

I wouldn't stress right now about eating too much - just keep doing what you're doing, eating protein and fat when hungry and not eating when you're not hungry, and see what sort of results you get. It works for most people. If you aren't losing any pounds or inches after a few weeks, then start tweaking things.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think it’s important to differentiate the types of muscle development and “growth” I’m not qualified to do so, like at all, but I’ll give my very basic and possibly erroneous understanding until someone with the expertise can chime in …

Your muscles can have sarcoplasmic development or microfibliar development. The sarcoplasm is what surrounds the cell wall and is what gives your muscles size, working in rep ranges past 6 or so creates this type of muscle development.
    Microfibliar (I’m probably butchering the spelling, I’m at work and can’t check, as a matter of fact I’m writing this in an e-mail so it looks like I’m working – God Bless America) refers to the actual muscle fibers, which are like cables and can produce more and more but still stay packed tight which is why you see some of these climbers for instance that are skinny but brutally strong. Working in the 3-5 rep range will make you gain strength but it should NOT “puff you up”.

Again, that’s my amateur at best explanation, having said that: You can build muscle, microfibrially (sp?) and get stronger without actually putting on muscle MASS, and you can lose fat at the same time through paying close attention to your diet like Daemonized said.

Putting on muscle MASS though and losing body fat at the same time is I think the “impossible” one …

Lastly, as a female your hopes of putting on muscle mass (if that’s what you intend to do) and losing body fat are probably veeeerrryyyy hard. However, if you want to get STRONG and lose body fat, that’s certainly possible.

PLEASE correct me if I’m wrong, I’m sure I fudged up more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Is it really that hard? I guess I assumed that because I'm gaining strenth - by a lot - that I am gaining muscle. Maybe hat's not the case? Does it matter if one isn't a body builder?
    Read my post, I think it answers your question.

If you're not a bodybuilder you have two weeks to leave, we're all meat heads around here. Who let women in the forum???

Yes, it is hard. In order to make your maximum strength and muscle mass gains one needs to push one's self hard and to have plenty of protein (1g per lb on average is what is generally regarded as minimum requirements for anyone training). Most body building types have two bulking phases to add muscle and "cutting" phases to remove fat. If you're a natural body builder you need to be really careful not to add too much fat on during bulking phases and to work hard to not lose LBM in addition to the fat when cutting.
    That said, I am enjoying my current leanness and I am good with adding muscle on a little more slowly than I could if I were to go with a full bulking routine. It's very easy though to slide one way or the other.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    Daemon - What do you eat when you are re-feeding? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
    Daemon - What do you eat when you are re-feeding? Just curious.
    He mentions sweet potatoes as a carb-refeed. I think those are the go-to carb refeed foods for most on a ketogenic diet.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast