Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coffee Issues - Help Coffee Drinkers! page 2

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Have you tried decaf?
    I see you get a larger reaction at work...
    How different is the water? (do you filter at home, for instance). I am familiar with these pods, so maybe there is an additional ingredient in them. Also, aren't these the ones that are in the little plastic pods? maybe some of the pod is leeching into the brew?

Try bringing a melita-type cone & filters to work. That way you can bring your own brand of coffee & all you need is hot water.
    Try decaf, and maybe switch brands?
    Last edited by Peggy; 10-12-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: added more

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    Maybe it's the acidity levels in different kinds of coffee.
    Have you tried cold-brewing your coffee? I can't drink any coffee I haven't made myself at home -- I get my coffee before I leave the house or I skip the stuff. It's cut way down on some of the reactions I've had with coffee. It doesn't change the caffein content, though.

Put a cup of finely ground coffee (I use the "Turkish Grind" or the finest one available on the in-store grinders) in a large (1-qt.) jar. Add 3 cups of cold water. Give it a good shake, and come back and shake it again every once in a while. Let it sit for at least 4 hours, but overnight is good too. Pour the coffee through a coffee filter (I put it in the basket of a coffee maker to hold the filter in place) into a clean jar. Refrigerate this.

THIS IS COFFEE CONCENTRATE. When I want a cup, I use about 1 part coffee concentrate to 4-5 parts water, and nuke it til hot. Use hot water if you're not into micros. Adjust concentration to your strength preference.

I get the Starbucks House Blend from Costco (so sue me) for $10 for 2 pounds and I store the ground coffee in the freezer. I've tried other types of coffee and this is my favorite brewed this way. I do NOT like this coffee brewed the regular way.

This is wonderful, mellow coffee without the acid kickback that I usually get from coffee. I've kept the concentrate for up to a week in the fridge without sacrificing flavor.

See if that makes a difference for your throat lump. If nothing else, it will taste delicious.
    Last edited by primalpatty; 10-12-2010 at 03:00 PM.

iammysticyte is offline Member
    wow...thanks so much for the advice, patty. i am definitely going to give this a shot. i didn't know that cold brewing it would cut the acidity. very cool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12