Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might be heading back to the gym - workout recommendations. page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Might be heading back to the gym - workout recommendations.

Hey folks,

I got a notice from 24 Hour Fitness about some lawsuit where part of the settlement is giving their former members 3 months free. I'm trying to find if it's BS or not but I'm going to take a ride sometime and ask for myself. If it's true and they don't require you to sign on for any longer I'm going to take the chance to work at a regular gym and move some plates around for three months to complement the bodyweight work I've been doing.

I was thinking of doing a Starting Strength style program, go to the gym twice a week and do

- Deadlifts for sure, see if I can get to 1.5x bodyweight, shouldn't be too hard at 150lbs.
    - Weighted chins/pull-ups the most I can get going at home right now is 50lbs so this will give me access to more weight and I can hold off on buying a vest for a little bit. Same goes for dips. I'd like to hit the 100lb added weight, not sure if that can be done in three months but it will get me closer. I'd also like to add 50lbs to my dip, I'm only at about 30lbs.
    - Bench press, I haven't benched in months and I'm probably pretty weak at it, I'll have to dig up my old journal and see what I could put up before but I know it wasn't impressive. I've never been a great bencher.
    - Overhead press, same as bench.

I'd like to try some oly lifts, snatches and such I really haven't dabbled in that.

I'm not sure what else I'd use the gym for, maybe try some kettlebell action, but mostly I'd like to track my progress for three months on the aforementioned.

I hope the gym does indeed have that going on because I don't want to pay for it right now, I'm trying to save as hard as I can.

Any suggestions/tweaks on this program? I was thinking of adding 5-10lbs per lift per session, probably just 5lbs and going for a rep range of 3-5, since I'm trying to still lose body fat, I'm not sure if it makes sense to go for higher reps (build size) ... ??

Nutrition wise I'm just going to clean up, get rid of all cheating and really concentrate on getting my nutrients in and upping protein through food. Maybe get some BCAA, but don't think I'll be getting whey powder. I'll probably train fasted most of the time, early in the morning.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    5x5 are good programs. I have been using a modified version of Project Swole's generic full body routine. The first exercise is 5x5 of squats, deadlifts or bench press, followed by 3 supersets of supporting exercises. The reason I modified it is so I just do two days per week weight training, and then I have one day to do a metabolic workout such as kettlebell swings and burpees.

Yeah I definitely need a heart rate raising day. I've been slacking on that front. thanks for the input.

mhoward is offline Member
    It depends on your goals. And whether you achieve a certain goal is going to depend on what you eat.

You will probably need to increase calories if your goal is gaining muscle or strength. A starting strength style workout or a sprinting type workout will burn a lot of calories. I know it isn't fashionable here to say a workout 'burns calories' but if you are just maintaining your weight now, then you will need to eat more to account for increased work effort. As a rather thin guy, I make sure to get in some good fat calories on days I have a hard workout. If your goal is really to gain muscle, etc., then I would skip the sprinting/kettlebell day and do heavy weights instead. Like the standard five by five programs.

If you maintain caloric intake but just clean up your diet, you will probably lean out. But there might not be the same strength gains. You could probably workout twice a week and still get results.

Hopefully this is helpful. I would just advise that you focus on a goal and make sure that your diet will let you achieve that goal.

mhoward is offline Member
    Again, just reading your original post again, it seems like you have a lot of possible goals. (lose fat, gain mass, gain strength). Although they are not mutually exclusive I would prioritize one of them for now.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    The 24 Hour Fitness settlement is true! I've actually gotten checks -- twice, because I had quit and rejoined and re-quit. Good on you for taking the free months instead.

Alexb is offline Banned
    Heavy, fully body workouts using compound lifts 4-5 x per week.

Chin-ups
    Bench
    Deadlift
    Squat
    Military press
    Dips
    Lunges
    Box hops
    Bicep curls
    Sprints

If you lift heavy and give your best in the gym every time and you supplement your workout with a good primal diet and plenty of sleep you will transform your body. Guaranteed.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    M - Squat, Bench, Deads, Standing OH Press
    W - Hill sprints
    F - Power clean and press, weighted pullups, weighted dips

Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    M - Squat, Bench, Deads, Standing OH Press
    W - Hill sprints
    F - Power clean and press, weighted pullups, weighted dips
    This is sort of what I think it's going to look like.

I also agree with you mhoward, I won't be trying to do a million things.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nice... i like that workout split a lot... Monday is tough though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast