Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slackline! Great form of Play page

Ryano is offline Junior Member

Slackline! Great form of Play

Primal Fuel
    As I have been reading I have noticed that alot of people have the same issue as I do. Low intensity cardio is boring! I like to walk as much as the next person but sometimes it just gets boring and I want something to change it up!

Well as you know the primal blueprint says to Play and to do the low intensity cardio, lift heavy things, andddd do some high intensity every once in a while too.

I think i found the perfect thing to combine all of those and it's pretty primal in itself. I mean Grok could have built one of these things if he wanted to!

What I found is called Slacklining and it's done on a SLACKLINE. Basically it's a tie down strap/ratchet strap whatever you want to call them, run between two trees or poles level to the ground. Between 1 and 2 feet off the ground is good. You use the ratchet to get all the slack out and make it really tight, then you can walk on it, stand on it, balance on it, do pushups on it, or if you get really daring like some of my friends do flips off of it. Just don't break your neck though please!

Caution: After doing this for a couple hours, you will have sore muscles on muscles you didn't know you had.
    Warning: May significantly increase your ability to surf, ski, snowboard, balance, skateboard, and pass sobriety tests.

Sooo has anyone ever done this or am I the only one?
    "It is your responsibility to control the outcome"
    "In our society, people respect weight loss. Even if you do nothing cool or interesting or memorable for the rest of your life, you'll have done that."
    "Is a brief moment on the lips, worth a long time on the hips?"

Hippykid is offline Junior Member
    love it, in college (at CU Boulder) we would spend hours and hours every day slacklining...havent done it in a year or so (moved to CA and no backyard)...good stuff, i was pretty good after a couple years, could surf the line, jumping 180s and 360s. no flips though...i could jump mount too up to about 40" off the ground

Nice! I keep practicing but I'm not getting much better. Parts of my body ache that i didn't even know I was working though so I guess once I develop these muscles more I'll get better. It is insanely fun though haha. I love it.
    "In our society, people respect weight loss. Even if you do nothing cool or interesting or memorable for the rest of your life, you'll have done that."

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    I want so badly to try this! I'm hoping my tai chi balance skills will help. It looks like a fun challenge.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Must. Try. This.

HOW did I not think of this? It's brilliant! I can totally see me AND the boy have waaaay too much fun-and the occasional crash-with this.

Tonight, I mow.
    Tomorrow-slackline!

It is insanely challenging. I tried doing it barefoot and with shoes. Barefoot it hurt my feet so I switched back to shoes. Now I ordered a pair of those Vibram barefoot shoes and i am excited to see how well they do. I was much better at it barefoot so we shall see. It is really fun to do and all my friends and their littler siblings have loved coming over to mess around on it. I do P90X yoga so I am anxious to see if slacklining has helped my balance. I'm willing to bet that it has. Plus my leg muscles have never been so sore.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    we had one at our grokfeast in florida, everyone really enjoyed it.
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

theholla is offline Senior Member
    Sounds awesome, and definitely something I'd love to try! Are you using actual ratchet straps or the specialized slacklining stuff?
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theholla View Post
    Sounds awesome, and definitely something I'd love to try! Are you using actual ratchet straps or the specialized slacklining stuff?
    Don'tcha love thread revival!?!

I started this sport yesterday for the first time. Last week, I pored over this website, and even bought the items he recommends in the "stuff you need" link. These days it cost me $80 (vs the $65 it cost him 5 years ago). Although I woke up this morning with a sore right foot, I am hoping to get past it so I can continue to learn to do this sport. It just seems like such an accomplishment!! My wife and I tried this for about 5 or 10 minutes before we were both sweating and sore. I can't wait to be able to do it (although I will say that I can see it will take a lonnng time to even stand on the line). I am not discouraged by that, only more motivated by the challenge!
    Last edited by PBNewby; 05-12-2013 at 04:35 AM. Reason: added parens

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNewby View Post
    Last week, I pored over this website, and even bought the items he recommends in the "stuff you need" link.
    Hey - thanks for the link, I've been wanting to do slack for awhile and had been using this site but I like the look of yours too:

Slacklining For Beginners Step by Step | Slackline HiveFly

However, I am still laughing at something Ryano said....P90X has YOGA?! I'm trying to imagine; a hip-hop beat driven energetic yoga that gives you abs? It all seems so hilarious to me. I knew they used it for stretching and balance but somehow P90X offering yoga sounds .... funny.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast