Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: high blood pressure. page

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member

Angry high blood pressure.

Primal Fuel
    what am i doing wrong? just got my physical for the hazmat team today and my bloodpressure was 162/84 or i have been primal for almost a year now and i feel great i've lost lots of weight and inches but my bp was up almost 30 points from last year. i'm only 26 years old they took an ecg and they said the results "looked like unconfirmed heart disease" in this last year i quit smoking for ten months but picked it back up not smoking that much maybe 3 to five smokes a day (quit today) where i used to smoke a pack and a half a day. well anyways they want me to see my regular physician to get medicine i'm really against taking medicine and i know i'm gonna be bombarded with low fat healthy whole grain shennanigans while getting lipitor shot at me from a machine gun. they only thing i can think of that i've done wrong is a drink a bit excessively during the week i have cut back to 2 -4 servings of wine but i drink pretty heavy on the weekend. if anybody here has any advice or good ideas i would be more than open to suggestions i don't wanna do drugs and i don't want to change my diet aside from the high blood pressure i feel awesome. this weekend i'm gonna go out and buy a monitioring device so i can check my bp regularly at home. I take multi-vitamins and fish oil and supplement with vitamin d when i can't get adequate sunlight. i haven't worked out the last couple weeks but i did have a pretty good schedule goin for a few months there. i don't really care about getting qualified for hazmat (they told me they wouldn't clear me until i was medicated) it's not important to me but i do wanna live long enough to see my daughter grow up. i just feel kinda frustrated like i had made all these positive things to try and be healthier and now they are saying i might have heart disease everybody i work with swears it's my diet and i just need to go low fat high carb to get healthy.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    What is your daily diet and body weight?

If you don't lift weights, you should start...stronglifts.com and get Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength"

Up the fish oil, start *drinking* a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil everyday. Check wikipedia page on that, its ultra beneficial to blood pressure.

And for the final clincher to lower it, start taking *cold showers*. Start warm, go cold, go back warm repeat until you can stay under the cold longer.

These will improve your blood pressure immensely.

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    Read this

http://healthmad.com/conditions-and-...-cold-showers/

Also, when I say drink olive oil you don't have to drink it in a cup, just add the tablespoons to whatever you are eating as long as it's not being cooked. I just drink it for convenience but not everyone can stomach that.

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    BP measurements can be extremely misleading when taken in a medical office, we even have a name for it... "White coat hypertension." Getting a BP monitor for home is a great idea, it will give you a better idea of your day-to-day measurements. Also, we are told time and again (I'm a nurse btw) that one high reading does not make one hypertensive! Your BP could have been up for a variety of reasons. Your doctor should already have recommended a 24 hour BP assessment, it is pretty much a standard diagnostic tool. My brother had to have one when he had a high reading at the doctor's office, they even lent him the machine. Turns out that over the course of the day, he was normal.
    If you find that it is high overall, smoking and drinking are quite likely to be the contributing factors. Have you had your LFT's checked? Liver damage from drinking is detectable in this easy blood test and one of the first signs of liver damage is hypertension. I know you probably are thinking "I'm not an alcoholic, I don't have liver damage!" but people's bodies have different tolerances to alcohol and how much their liver can handle. I would get that checked too if I were you.
    Good luck and avoid statins like they were poison! (which they are IMHO )

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    the heavy drinking can cause your blood pressure to go up afterwards. cut it out for a few weeks and see where you are at.
    also. Vitamin D seems to help. exercise will help if you are not exercising now.

contyler is offline Junior Member
    I think my blood pressure is normal despite eating foods with high cholesterol lately and not exercising nowadays.

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbidchicken69 View Post
    what am i doing wrong? just got my physical for the hazmat team today and my bloodpressure was 162/84 or i have been primal for almost a year now and i feel great i've lost lots of weight and inches but my bp was up almost 30 points from last year. i'm only 26 years old they took an ecg and they said the results "looked like unconfirmed heart disease" in this last year i quit smoking for ten months but picked it back up not smoking that much maybe 3 to five smokes a day (quit today) where i used to smoke a pack and a half a day. well anyways they want me to see my regular physician to get medicine i'm really against taking medicine and i know i'm gonna be bombarded with low fat healthy whole grain shennanigans while getting lipitor shot at me from a machine gun. they only thing i can think of that i've done wrong is a drink a bit excessively during the week i have cut back to 2 -4 servings of wine but i drink pretty heavy on the weekend. if anybody here has any advice or good ideas i would be more than open to suggestions i don't wanna do drugs and i don't want to change my diet aside from the high blood pressure i feel awesome. this weekend i'm gonna go out and buy a monitioring device so i can check my bp regularly at home. I take multi-vitamins and fish oil and supplement with vitamin d when i can't get adequate sunlight. i haven't worked out the last couple weeks but i did have a pretty good schedule goin for a few months there. i don't really care about getting qualified for hazmat (they told me they wouldn't clear me until i was medicated) it's not important to me but i do wanna live long enough to see my daughter grow up. i just feel kinda frustrated like i had made all these positive things to try and be healthier and now they are saying i might have heart disease everybody i work with swears it's my diet and i just need to go low fat high carb to get healthy.
    Sorry to say, but you have NO CHOICE. If you want to be healthy you MUST totally give up smokes and your drinking. You have very bad habits that MUST stop now. This is not easy. I had to give up both smoking & drinking and I know it is tough as nails. You are at a crossroads, and it is either good health or it is liver disease, lung cancer, sh*tty health and worse. Several of my friends have died of liver disease at an early age and you will be following them. Learn to drink water, unsweet tea or black coffee at ALL times. If you can't limit your wine to 1 or 2 drinks, then you have a DRINKING PROBLEM, and you are an Alcoholic, and must quit. Also not widely known is that your life style causes Erectile Dysfunction in men as early as their 30s! How would you like to live without SEX?

How much do you weigh? Are you 100% on a primal diet? It will take some time for your body to recover from your terrible abuse. I suggest staying off the drugs, smokes, alcohol, and force yourself to live a healthy life. I will pray for you.

PS) If you have heart disease, it is reversible. Please visit this site: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/
    I'm willing to bet that going 100% primal diet, and giving up your vices is all you need. Lucky you are starting NOW before it is too late.
    One of my good friends died of liver failure from drinking ONLY beer. NEVER drank wine or liquor.

Best to you,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 10-12-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Try also some intermittent fasting. There is a great article at leangains.com. I too have just started PB medication, but thats due to a heart murmur made worse by pregnancy. Fixing the heart hole shoud fix the BP I'm told. I'm also walking a lot more and lifting my 15mthn old boy is like weight training. I've cut back on wine.. was downing up to 4 bottles over the weekend. Even with the PB eating, I still think people simply eat too much, even of the good food.

Renae is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NourishedEm View Post
    BP measurements can be extremely misleading when taken in a medical office, we even have a name for it... "White coat hypertension." Getting a BP monitor for home is a great idea, it will give you a better idea of your day-to-day measurements. Also, we are told time and again (I'm a nurse btw) that one high reading does not make one hypertensive! Your BP could have been up for a variety of reasons. Your doctor should already have recommended a 24 hour BP assessment, it is pretty much a standard diagnostic tool. My brother had to have one when he had a high reading at the doctor's office, they even lent him the machine. Turns out that over the course of the day, he was normal.
    If you find that it is high overall, smoking and drinking are quite likely to be the contributing factors. Have you had your LFT's checked? Liver damage from drinking is detectable in this easy blood test and one of the first signs of liver damage is hypertension. I know you probably are thinking "I'm not an alcoholic, I don't have liver damage!" but people's bodies have different tolerances to alcohol and how much their liver can handle. I would get that checked too if I were you.
    Good luck and avoid statins like they were poison! (which they are IMHO )
    +1

I always have super high blood pressure when I go to the MD due to white coat hypertension. I am not a nurse, but I do work quite a bit with the medical field and I just went to a training where they talked about the amount of alcohol consumed being a factor in hypertension. I think the doctor who was teaching the class quoted anything more than 10-12 drinks a week would negatively affect blood pressure. Also, you could look at your sodium consumption and see if that is a possible culprit. I've had high blood pressure since I was in my late teens and I am not quite 30, so I feel your pain. I've noticed that getting enough magnesium seems to make a difference in my blood pressure. You could try a magnesium oil (taking it in pill form isn't always effective). Also, you could try some milk thistle if you are concerned at all about liver function/liver damage. Good luck!

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks for the links and the help, and i have no delusions i know i'm an alcoholic my liver function test was "elevated" last year but i'm not sure how much i trust this outfit cause they said my insulin levels were at diabetetic levels but they didn't mention till a year later. I would just rather play it on the safe side i guess i will have to quit drinkning along with smoking won't really miss the smoking. as far as diet i stay about 90% primal, most of the meat and veggies i buy around 75% is grassfed or organic i stay away from processed foods don't eat fast food and eat out maybe once a month but sticking primal when i do. i should have the rest of my bloodwork back on friday so i'm kinda nervous until then, basically it freaked me out cause they pretty much told me if i didn't take medication i was gonna die i only get my bloodpressure checked once a year at my hazmat physical and it was around 138/76 or something close to that last year and since it was high two years in a row they told me i must immediately get medication and once i had been on it for awhile they would clear me. and as far as the rest of my stats i weigh 220 and am five foot five inches, one good thing i can take home from this is quitting drinking will definately help me shed those last forty five pounds i been wanting to get rid of.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast