Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the PB take on Tuna? page

Redflame is offline Senior Member

What's the PB take on Tuna?

Shop Now
    Hey guys.....

I dont know if it is in the book, but right now I am at the office and thinking about it, so I better ask now!

What is the take on canned tuna? Personally it is not a favorite of mine, but it is good to have on hand at the office. I can stand to eat Albacore, the other tuna is a little to Catfoodish for me. But today I was starving, and I did not have any salad at the office for the week yet. So I had a can of albacore. And I was not full. There happened to be a can of regular tuna and so I opened up that......ehhhhhhh yuck!

But anyway, back to my original question, whats the take on canned tuna? Seems to me a good source of protien. and nicely portable.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I used to overdose on canned tuna and white rice back in the day, honestly I LOVED that meal it was so simple since there's always white rice at my house and canned tuna was never too far off.

Starting the PB I stopped eating canned tuna in an effort to not eat anything packaged but I've come back to it. Good (won't say great) source of protein, easy and to me the cat-food-ish tuna tastes better than albacore which I can't stand. I also get canned salmon and you can find both wild-caught if you want to pay a bit more.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I love the canned salmon! Fantastic on my BAS with green olives,

lbt
    lbt is offline Member
    I eat this most days for lunch because of the cost. I had it today with brussel sprouts and tomatoes tossed in olive oil and herbs. I apparently have not had enough fat today despite an apple with almond butter this afternoon because I am starving right now and won't be home for another hour at least and am contemplating still working out. I think the general consensus is that it's fine, but like a chicken breast (lean pure protein), you need to pair with a fat.
    Last edited by lbt; 10-11-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: stupid iPhone

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I had my first can of salmon today. I couldn't believe how good it was by itself. I've always liked tuna even though it usually ended up giving me heartburn. But today I had no leftovers from dinner last night and decided to just bust into the can of salmon. I ate the entire can. The label indicated it contained 7 servings, so I guess I had 7 servings of canned salmon.

Uh, sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but my opinion is it's fine.

uccella is offline Junior Member
    Tuna canned in olive oil, especially Italian brands (Rio Mare particularly) are a godsend for days when there's nothing fresh or easy to prepare in the fridge.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uccella View Post
    Tuna canned in olive oil, especially Italian brands (Rio Mare particularly) are a godsend for days when there's nothing fresh or easy to prepare in the fridge.
    I love the Italian tonnos. They also don't have the soy that a lot of regular canned tuna has.

With regular canned tuna, I always look at the ingredients to make sure it does not contain soy (most often disguised under the term "broth"). I don't have tuna as much as I would like because of the mercury but I do have the canned wild salmon fairly often.

Here's a tasty tuna recipe from an older Atkins book (DANDR, 2002):

ITALIAN TUNA PATÉ

6 oz. drained tuna
    1/4 c. tightly packed chopped parsley
    1 stick (1/4 lb/4 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
    1 T. fresh lemon juice (optional)
    Sprinkle black pepper

In a food processor (or blender), pulse until well-blended. Refrigerate. Take out ahead of using (or zap in microwave on "defrost" 2-3 seconds) and stir before attempting to serve as it gets very hard in the fridge.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    A little bit more on the mercury aspect - I'm sure there is a plethora of research out there. But here's a snippet from wikipedia:

"The FDA and the EPA advise women of child-bearing age, nursing mothers, and young children ... to limit consumption of albacore ("white") tuna to no more than 6 oz (170 g) per week, and of all other fish and shellfish to no more than 12 oz (340 g) per week."

but on the other hand in the same paragraph:

"A 2006 review, conducted by Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian and Dr. Eric B. Rimm, of the risks and benefits of fish consumption found that for adults the benefits of one to two servings of fish per week outweigh the risks, even (except for a few fish species) for women of childbearing age."

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I eat canned salmon and canned tuna. Tuna is just protein in a can so, I usually try to do something with it. I like it mixed with cottage cheese, some pickled peppers, and just a bit of homemade primal mayo. I also like to mix tuna, eggs, and what ever else I can find to flavor it with. I rarely eat just plain tuna though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast