Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck...Duck...DUCK! page

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member

Duck...Duck...DUCK!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I roasted a duck for the first time this weekend and it was amazing!! Had to share. If you haven't tried duck before...man oh man is it delicious. My boyfriend and I had carved it up and put it on our plates, but before we could even take our plates to the dining room we stood over the carcass picking duck meat from the bones and shoveling it into our faces! We couldn't believe how delicious it was.

Anyway...

Crispy Roast Duck

1 duck (mine was 4.5 lbs)
    2 C. boiling water
    Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Rinse duck, pat dry, and stab all over with a fork. (that was good primal fun!)
    Place duck on rack in roasting pan and pour boiling water over duck to tighten skin. Drain water from cavity into pan.
    Rub duck with salt & pepper
    Roast 30 minute breast side up, 30 minutes breast side down, and 30 minutes breast side up again.

Let duck rest while you pour delicious rendered duck fat from roasting pan into jar.

Eat delicious roasted duck with crispy skin with your fingers while standing in the kitchen.

Or...serve with veggies of choice, and I made the below chutney-type stuff that was delicious on the duck meat.

Balsamic Apple Chutney

1 Apple, chopped finely
    2 T. Butter
    2 T. Balsamic vinegar
    1/2 t. Salt

Saute apples in butter until quite soft.
    Add salt and vinegar.
    Stir until well combined and let cook a little longer until nice brown mushy goodness.
    Serve with duck meat.

So yummy....
    Last edited by TriCiCi; 10-11-2010 at 10:03 AM.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Sounds great - bookmarking this page for when we buy a duck. Thanks!

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I love duck! I can get duck legs all the time and they are more convenient for us than the whole duck. I've never tried that boiling water method but will do the next time.

Have you tried duck confit yet? It's decadent and simply wonderful and also preserves the duck for up to a month. And any leftover duck fat can be used like butter for cooking. Yum.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Years ago someone gave me two ducks for Thanksgiving. Having no clue about the oiliness of duck, I used a shallow pan in the oven. I wasn't aware of a problem till the smoke alarm went off. Opened the oven (which was billowing smoke) to find that the pan had overflowed all over the place. For over a year the whole house smelled like duck whenever I turned on the oven.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Years ago someone gave me two ducks for Thanksgiving. Having no clue about the oiliness of duck, I used a shallow pan in the oven.
    My mom used to cook a duck or two each year and I'm so glad she did because I wouldn't have known to use a deep pan and that it needs a higher heat (at least initially) to render all that duck fat. I would have cooked it like I do whole chickens and that would NOT have been good.

loneviking is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriCiCi View Post
    I roasted a duck for the first time this weekend and it was amazing!! Had to share. If you haven't tried duck before...man oh man is it delicious. My boyfriend and I had carved it up and put it on our plates, but before we could even take our plates to the dining room we stood over the carcass picking duck meat from the bones and shoveling it into our faces! We couldn't believe how delicious it was.

Anyway...

Crispy Roast Duck

1 duck (mine was 4.5 lbs)
    2 C. boiling water
    Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Rinse duck, pat dry, and stab all over with a fork. (that was good primal fun!)
    Place duck on rack in roasting pan and pour boiling water over duck to tighten skin. Drain water from cavity into pan.
    Rub duck with salt & pepper
    Roast 30 minute breast side up, 30 minutes breast side down, and 30 minutes breast side up again.

Let duck rest while you pour delicious rendered duck fat from roasting pan into jar.

Eat delicious roasted duck with crispy skin with your fingers while standing in the kitchen.

Or...serve with veggies of choice, and I made the below chutney-type stuff that was delicious on the duck meat.

Balsamic Apple Chutney

1 Apple, chopped finely
    2 T. Butter
    2 T. Balsamic vinegar
    1/2 t. Salt

Saute apples in butter until quite soft.
    Add salt and vinegar.
    Stir until well combined and let cook a little longer until nice brown mushy goodness.
    Serve with duck meat.

So yummy....
    Hang onto that duck fat as it's good for seasoning; broth; cooking at low heat...all sorts of good things. Yeah, I love duck.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I love whole roasted duck from china town. I've yet to roast my own... sooon!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I love duck too. My mother buys a few when she can find them on sale then invites my son and I over for duck once in a while. I have yet to try cooking one myself.

FMN
    FMN is offline Senior Member
    I cooked my first duck last week, and it was pretty good, but I think next time I'll try your method. After we ate all of the duck meat we could, I made duck bone broth which is in the freezer to used in a soup or something later. And next time I hope I can find a duck that wasn't raised on corn and soy.

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Cooking question

I want to roast a duck for New Years, but I don't have a roaster with a rack (and don't really need one except for this). If I set it on halved sweet potatoes in my dutch oven, will this raise it enough? I know there is a lot of fat, but I don't have a good idea on how much and how far it needs to be raised.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast