Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: No more shampoo/soap/shaving cream! page

shiggles is offline Senior Member

No more shampoo/soap/shaving cream!

Shop Now
    I've been taking chemical-free showers for about 3 weeks now. I am just as amazed at the improvements I saw here as with my first few weeks of primal living. Naturally, I still use soap to wash my hands when preparing food, or if I think they warrant de-contamination. I'll break it down:

Hair:
    - I quit shampoo and conditioner cold turkey. I vigorously scrub my hair and scalp with my hands using only hot water. I found I could get a lot of the excess oil out of my hair doing this.
    - At first it was oily and felt waxy in the shower. This lasted about 2 weeks while my epidermis was adjusting.
    - After the second week my hair caught on and my scalp stopped producing excess oil. Now when I scrub my hair it's just a mild, healthy, slightly slick feeling.
    - I no longer have dandruff. And I have had dandruff my entire life. This alone is worth ANY effort.
    - My hair is absurdly manageable. I need zero styling products in the morning. I throw a little water in my hands, and run in through my hair. I'm amazed at how I can produce some pretty extreme 'zero-g' hairstyles using only water and my natural hair oil.

Skin:
    - My skin is no longer dry and scaly from detergents.
    - Everything is still clean and odor-free.
    - If something is extra dirty (i.e. my soles after a long, barefoot walk) I use a loofah or boar brush to scrub it away. Sans soap of course!
    - No soapy smell! This is obvious, but I couldn't stand smelling like a walking bar of soap. I usually went for fragrance free soaps before, now it's a no-brainer.

Face:
    - Combined with the PB diet, I no longer have breakouts. I no longer wash my face with anything but hot water.
    - Similar to my hair, my face was a little oily the first couple weeks. After that it evened out.
    - I had been doing this for years, but it's in the same vein: no more shaving cream! I use a fogless shower mirror. Run warm water over your face and the razor. I have effortless shaving with no nicks, bumps or razor burn. Nothing hurts and nothing gets inflamed even if I go 'against the grain' to really get a smooth shave. It also takes about 1/3 of the time to shave without that white crap on your face.
    - My skin tone is more even now. The small scars from acne as a teenager are slightly fading.
    - I can just 'tell' that the skin on my face is healthier. Looking in the mirror, I see a slightly younger, healthier face

Try this for three weeks. You will never go back to slathering yourself with parabens and chemicles.

Patro is offline Junior Member
    I was actually considering this since i have been trying to get rid of dandruff and head and shoulders does not seem to work. I also notice my skin has been itchy after showers due to irsh spring. I like to smell clean but cant stand the itchyness.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    I want to jump in and quit shampoo and conditioner, but being a female, I am obsessed with my hair. It is WAAAY too oily. If I don't wash my hair every single day, it looks like I didn't wash it for a week. I get made fun of a lot for it if I dont have time to shower every 16-24 hours. I worry it will just look dirty, even for two weeks
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    I use my own homemade, chemical free soap for washing...I can make a pretty decent shampoo bar if you aren't against using a bit of lime juice to rinse. I've also heard of using honey or olive oil to clean the face. I also make my own pit stick with basically baking soda, clays, essential oils, and COCONUT oil...I love coconut everything (it is a main ingredient in ALL of my products).

Of course, using nothing is a LOT cheaper, but it doesn't work for me (or my slight OCD tendencies).

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Been 'poo-free and mostly soap-free (hands only) since the beginning of this year, myself. Still having some issues with my scalp being flaky and dry and seasonally itchy skin, though (especially once the heat is turned on in the house).

It seems hopeless for those caught in the endless cycle of shampooing their hair to clear away the oils (which strips away too much, causing the scalp to over-produce sebum), after which you apply conditioners and product that attract dirt and dust. After a day or two the hair feels so gross that you have to wash it again.

Once you stop this crazy cycle and get through the adjustment period, you will find that your hair never looked better.

Read this for more information: http://freetheanimal.com/2009/12/pal...o-shampoo.html

deranger is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like an interesting experiment, although I'd probably do the adjusting while on holiday (and preferably away from other people ) just in case things get ugly.

Either way, I'd be interested to hear what you barber says about your results.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deranger View Post
    Either way, I'd be interested to hear what you barber says about your results.
    I thought about this as well. It's obvious that my hair is shinier and healthier looking. I usually get a shampoo and condition when she cuts my hair. I'm going to have to ask her to skip it this time. I expect my hair to become even more refined as I continue to wash with only warm water.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    If your stylist is mature enough it shouldn't phase them at all. Mine just sprays some water on it, combs it out and starts cutting.

Because I have naturally curly hair I usually need some sort of gel in it to keep the curls pieced nicely, so I use 100% aloe vera gel. My stylist advised me not to use any on the day of a haircut, though, because it will be a pain to comb out (both for him AND for me!).

rozska is offline Senior Member
    I've been 'poo-less since June -- soapless probably since August. My skin is so much clearer -- no more acne on my torso. My skin also used to be really dry. Most of that has been going away as well. And my skin looks younger. I use coconut oil to shave my legs and pits with. I also use baking soda to wash, and apple cider vinegar to rinse my hair with once every 5-10 days (depends on the condition of my hair.) Sometimes I still use oil in the ends of my hair for the curls, but mostly now it's fully adjusted and I don't need to use anything but water to get perfect princess ringlets. (Yes, the Universe is still laughing at me for being so butch.)

There's a 'poo-less group already started if you're interested in joining:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=52

For the most part we've all found the same thing -- better condition to hair and skin, less time, less money, feeling better all around. Yay PB for so many amazing changes.
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonApple View Post
    I want to jump in and quit shampoo and conditioner, but being a female, I am obsessed with my hair. It is WAAAY too oily. If I don't wash my hair every single day, it looks like I didn't wash it for a week. I get made fun of a lot for it if I dont have time to shower every 16-24 hours. I worry it will just look dirty, even for two weeks
    Maybe it's because you wash it with shampoo so often that it's so oily.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast