Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 153

Thread: No more shampoo/soap/shaving cream! page 4

  1. #31
    egger's Avatar
    egger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    40
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    - I had been doing this for years, but it's in the same vein: no more shaving cream! I use a fogless shower mirror. Run warm water over your face and the razor. I have effortless shaving with no nicks, bumps or razor burn. Nothing hurts and nothing gets inflamed even if I go 'against the grain' to really get a smooth shave. It also takes about 1/3 of the time to shave without that white crap on your face.
    Have you experimented with "wet shaving"? You can save some money and keep your skin healthy using real shave cream and a double edge razor (or even a straight edge which I have not yet ventured into). Real shaving cream is whipped up with a brush and applied to your skin with the brush, which many swear is the key to a close shave. Some also smell divine. It's totally different from using canned goo. It's a small investment up front and razors typically have to be ordered, but I love it. Of course you can you a DE razor without cream too.

    Check out mantic59's videos on youtube for a humorous introduction to the art of shaving.

  2. #32
    shiggles's Avatar
    shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by egger View Post
    Have you experimented with "wet shaving"? You can save some money and keep your skin healthy using real shave cream and a double edge razor (or even a straight edge which I have not yet ventured into). Real shaving cream is whipped up with a brush and applied to your skin with the brush, which many swear is the key to a close shave. Some also smell divine. It's totally different from using canned goo. It's a small investment up front and razors typically have to be ordered, but I love it. Of course you can you a DE razor without cream too.

    Check out mantic59's videos on youtube for a humorous introduction to the art of shaving.
    I haven't. I love the simplicity of just a razor in the shower. If I want a super close shave I just shave up. Smooth as a baby's ass in about 30 seconds

  3. #33
    amandatea's Avatar
    amandatea is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brampton, ON
    Posts
    92
    Has anyone here tried African Black Soap? I think it's pretty natural and my sister ordered it from a cosmetic company once. I used it for hair/shaving/shampoo until it ran out. It was really nice and i felt cleaner/softer/nicer smelling while i used it.

    I would like to do the no shampoo/soap thing but i work 5 days a week, every week of the year - i never take time off because I'm basically self employed - teaching piano - and if i don't work, i don't make money/pay rent/buy food/etc. So the transition period could be really tricky for me. The only time i have any time off is a week during Christmas time. I don't know if that is enough to adjust.

  4. #34
    lizch's Avatar
    lizch is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Redmond WA
    Posts
    1,542
    Quote Originally Posted by amandatea View Post
    Has anyone here tried African Black Soap? I think it's pretty natural and my sister ordered it from a cosmetic company once. I used it for hair/shaving/shampoo until it ran out. It was really nice and i felt cleaner/softer/nicer smelling while i used it.

    I would like to do the no shampoo/soap thing but i work 5 days a week, every week of the year - i never take time off because I'm basically self employed - teaching piano - and if i don't work, i don't make money/pay rent/buy food/etc. So the transition period could be really tricky for me. The only time i have any time off is a week during Christmas time. I don't know if that is enough to adjust.
    I teach too, though only twice a week. I last used shampoo the day before I was teaching (so Wed, teaching on Thurs) Hair was still fine on Thursday. The next few days were a little diifficult--definitely felt a bit unkempt and my hair felt and looked a little oily, particularly by the end of each day (I shower in the mornings usually). But by the Monday, it was getting a little better, and when I taught on the Wednesday I felt entirely confident to stand there with my poo-less hair. It's improved even more since then.

    In other words, based on my experience, a week should be enough, particularly if you can pad it by not shampooing the day of your last session.
    Liz.

    Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

  5. #35
    amandatea's Avatar
    amandatea is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Brampton, ON
    Posts
    92
    Okay. Thanks for the advice I'll try it out!

  6. #36
    Autumn's Avatar
    Autumn is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    56
    I have very long hair (ass length) and haven’t used shampoo since June I think. Same with deodorant and normal soap (except hands while cooking and stuff). I have no trouble with my long hair, and I actually found that washing it too often in just water can cause a small problem. So I wash it once a week and it’s soft and shiny and not sticky in any way – very manageable actually. Since I cut grains and junk food and other crap from my diet the smell of sweat has decreased drastically! If I find myself in a situation where I sweat a lot and maybe feel I smell a bit I just slice a piece of lemon and use the slice as a role on deodorant. It works wonders I tell you!

    Toothpaste without flour is impossible to get where I live so I stopped using it. Instead I brush thoroughly with water several times a day. My teeth and mouth in general has never felt better and I no longer wake up with a bad taste in my mouth. The stony feel on my teeth is gone and I no longer have sensitive roots plus discoloration is gone. If I feel I need to disinfect my mouth I eat a clover of raw garlic and chew it as long as I can stand. It kills all bacteria and virus not only in the mouth but in throat, nasal cavities and lungs – good bye cold.

    Autumn

  7. #37
    NourishedEm's Avatar
    NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I pay a lot of money to NOT bring back the natural color of my hair
    See now this is my problem. I get my hair highlighted every 6-8 weeks to lighten up dark red, the stripping and shampooing that happens at the hairdresser surely puts you back to starting all over again?

    I would appreciate your take on this Liz,

    Thanks

  8. #38
    Bushrat's Avatar
    Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    I actually found that washing it too often in just water can cause a small problem.
    What sort of problem?

    And thanks for the garlic tip. I'm not sure how tolerable everyone else will be of my garlic breath though.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I pay a lot of money to NOT bring back the natural color of my hair
    Why not? Now that you are primal you may find your natural hair colour has changed slightly and looks better.

  9. #39
    lizch's Avatar
    lizch is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Redmond WA
    Posts
    1,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Why not? Now that you are primal you may find your natural hair colour has changed slightly and looks better.
    Nah, I can see it growing in at the roots.... matte light brown with flecks of grey, unchanged from before primal.

    I actually love white hair, but my family only seems to go murky grey, so I'll stick to my decidedly non-primal trip to the salon every few months. Having blonde streaks brings me a silly amount of happiness.
    Liz.

    Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

  10. #40
    Autumn's Avatar
    Autumn is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    56
    Problems with washing my hair too often with just water are mostly that my hair seems more susceptible to seeming greasy and the scalp seems more dry and irritable.

    Yeah garlic breath is a “no friends” to many but I have only had very few remarks from people. I teach … when one person says I smell many others says that I don’t have to worry because they don’t smell it at all. So maybe some people have a more delicate nose than others while others don’t smell it at all? Maybe we should just skip the whole attempt to make everyone else happy *S* Most people already look at Groks funny because we eat all the sea food without putting bread and stuff on our plates at a “all you can eat sea food”.

    Coloring hair? I got my first gray hair the day my son got baptized … that’s 7 years ago (I was 22) and I haven’t had my hair colored for years! I kinda see my gray hair as an earning. I’m proud of them, of everyone else’s unmentionables what them and their SAD-mentality thinks (SAD is a mentality that reaches far beyond food, but that’s another topic for another debate forum).

    Autumn

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •