Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: No more shampoo/soap/shaving cream! page 3

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arikara6 View Post
    This whole concept, more than any other part of primal living, scares me the most. I can work up a STINK (I went 45 days with no shower at all in Iraq in '03) and I'd be worried that I'd have a 30 foot radius to myself based on the smell alone.
    Holy crap. Yeah. That is a noxious brew. I think even Grok took a dip once in a while. I still shower almost daily, just no chemical destruction.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    Face:
    - Combined with the PB diet, I no longer have breakouts. I no longer wash my face with anything but hot water.
    - Similar to my hair, my face was a little oily the first couple weeks. After that it evened out.
    - I had been doing this for years, but it's in the same vein: no more shaving cream! I use a fogless shower mirror. Run warm water over your face and the razor. I have effortless shaving with no nicks, bumps or razor burn. Nothing hurts and nothing gets inflamed even if I go 'against the grain' to really get a smooth shave. It also takes about 1/3 of the time to shave without that white crap on your face.
    - My skin tone is more even now. The small scars from acne as a teenager are slightly fading.
    - I can just 'tell' that the skin on my face is healthier. Looking in the mirror, I see a slightly younger, healthier face

Try this for three weeks. You will never go back to slathering yourself with parabens and chemicles.
    Always shower before you shave. The steam will open up your pores and make it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonApple View Post
    I want to jump in and quit shampoo and conditioner, but being a female, I am obsessed with my hair. It is WAAAY too oily. If I don't wash my hair every single day, it looks like I didn't wash it for a week. I get made fun of a lot for it if I dont have time to shower every 16-24 hours. I worry it will just look dirty, even for two weeks
    Take a holiday where you are away from everyone and use that as the time to adapt.

I personally couldn't be bothered to wash my hair for a week and that was over a month ago. I just use water every morning.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    I personally couldn't be bothered to wash my hair for a week and that was over a month ago. I just use water every morning.
    Based on your avatar, your hair looks beauuuuutiful.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I've been poo-less for 2 weeks. This morning, my husband said my hair smelt funky. I've only been washing with plain water, so I took this as a sign I should do SOMETHING. So I tried the baking soda followed by apple cider vinegar. Every site I found said your hair wouldn't smell of vinegar afterward, but I swear mine did. Not sure if it does now it's dry (and it's short enough I can't smell it myself).

Is there some other alternative for deodorizing my hair? I'm perfectly happy with how it looks and feels, but don't want to repel my spouse
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    Is there some other alternative for deodorizing my hair? I'm perfectly happy with how it looks and feels, but don't want to repel my spouse
    Is that you in your avatar? It looks like you have light colored hair. Is so, how about a lemon juice and water rinse? Years ago (before there were zillions of hair products), a common beauty tip was ACV for brunettes and lemon juice for blondes. The recipe was 1/2 cup ACV or juice of 2 lemons mixed with 1 quart of water. Pour over hair and then rinse well with clear water. Don't know if this will help but the lemon would smell better than vinegar I think.

Yes, that's me (the one on the left

It's fake blonde highlights. I'll give the lemon juice a try--I'd definitely much rather smell of lemon than vinegar! I gather the rinse is acidic to return the hair to its normal pH after the baking soda, so I can't see why lemon wouldn't work.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    well its been 3 days for me since i stopped. and these have been the worst hair days ever. I tried the whole BS/ACV method. My hair is so dry, I can barely get a brush through it. It could be harvested for grain in a 3rd world country. Its heavy, and just feels dirty. I might give up. i can't even get tangles out!!!
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

PoisonApple, those first days are the roughest. If I were you, I'd just rinse in plain water for now. I only needed to use the BS/ACV thing after 2 weeks. I have a feeling if I'd done it from the start, my hair would have taken longer to adjust.

Today, my hair is softer, silkier, more manageable than it's ever been in my life. It was worth the rough first few days! Stick with it!
    Liz.

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the encouragement. The first wash after not using shampoo was awesome, and i was really excited because my hair was still soft. I hope it gets better, and I will just use water for the next week and a half and see how it goes. Thanks!
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    @PoisonApple

Do you have hard or soft water? Hard water definitely makes things tricky.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast