Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: No more shampoo/soap/shaving cream! page 12

Grizz is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Now some of you people have admitted to using natural recipes for the arm pits. I would like to hear what y'all are doing about the arm pits. My stinko arm pits cannot survive even ONE day without killing off the flies and small animals.. Is it actually possible that under arm odor is the result of using soap on the arm pits ( destroying the natural "Film of Sebum ) ?

I need a POWERFUL deodorant, like Old Spice. What could possibly be better than Old Spice?

WHY might this concept even work? Here is my theory from what I found on the net. Any comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by research
    I searched the net to find answers. The answer: Normal skin is soft to the touch, uniform and without obvious imperfections, because of the natural "film of sebum." Oily skin, dry skin, smelly bacteria & other skin problems are caused by soap & detergents destroying this natural film. The body then over-reacts to protect itself to re-create the natural film of sebum. Showering without soap & detergent preserves this natural skin protection. This "Film of Sebum" protects the skin from water loss and bacteria. (odor) When washed with soap & shampoo, the film is stripped away and the body over-reacts to produce more. Too much Oil of Sebum causes bacteria buildup (odor).
    All about Sebum: http://www.ehow.com/about_4613837_what-is-sebum.html
    We need to focus this discussion on the arm pits. How many of you are using nothing on the arm pits? No under arm odor?? I am in total disbelief.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-04-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post

We need to focus this discussion on the arm pits. How many of you are using nothing on the arm pits? No under arm odor?? I am in total disbelief.
    *hand* I do have a whiff of odor if I go for a day or more without showering - which rarely happens anyway.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Grizz, try this recipe using tea tree oil - I find that as long as I apply a very thin layer (where you can't even see it) each morning, I'm good ALL DAY, even if I experience stress sweat situations.

http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2...deodorant.html

It was super-easy to make (I made the sensitive skin variation), and you just put it into an empty deodorant container. I wasn't done my last store-bought deodorant, but I had developed a nasty pit rash from it, so I pitched what was left and replaced it with this. Works great and now my rash is just about gone!

JWheelz is offline Member
    I think I mentioned before, I just rub a little baking soda in my pits and that does the job quite well. I was using one of those mineral salt deodorants they sell a lot of places, and I think it made me smell worse unless applied several times a day. The baking soda keeps me fresh all day unless I sweat TONS, and then there may be a little smell. But I wash every day and smell hasn't been a problem.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I don't use anything in my armpits any more. If I've just worked out and can't shower immediately, I just go into the restroom and wipe my armpits with a water-soaked paper towel.

There are only two scenarios where I've noticed a bit of a smell:
    1. Overnight. By morning, there's a definite mustiness to my armpits. I'm having to wash my PJs much more often
    2. If I'm outside in the cold, dressed in warm weather gear (fleece, ski thermals, etc). I'm thinking I'll have to use deoderant when I go skiing for a whole day.

In both cases, it doesn't smell like regular BO, it's just a mustiness. Definitely not OK, regardless!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Grizz is offline Banned
    HERE IS A SUMMARY OF IDEAS IN THIS THREAD. Any more ideas ?

1) Tea Tree Oil Deoderant - from Unamused Mouse
    * 1/4 cup baking soda
    * 1/4 cup cornstarch
    * 20 drops tea tree oil.
    * 2+ TBSP coconut oil
    * Force into empty deodorant container

2) just rub a little baking soda in the arm pits and that does the job quite well-from JWheelz

3) Rub a lemon into the arm pits - from Autumn

4) just coconut oil and baking soda in a small container- from PrimalPatty

5) Shaving Cream Racket - Shave with water only - Shiggles
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

6) Deodorize Hair - juice of 2 lemons or 1/2 cup ACV mixed with 1 quart of water - from Mizski

7) The Pooless Group http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=52

8) Mom It Down Deoderant - from Michele Boudreaux
    * 2 tablespoons shea butter
    * 2 tablespoons coconut oil
    * 2 tablespoons baking soda
    * 2 tablespoons corn starch
    * http://mihow.com/articles/2010/11/22...own-deodorant/

I will try the lemon rub in my arm pits first. Looks like a great idea from Autumn. If that doesn't work, I'll try the deodorant recipes.

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-04-2010 at 11:25 AM.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    HERE IS A SUMMARY OF IDEAS IN THIS THREAD. Any more ideas ?

1) Tea Tree Oil Deoderant - from Unamused Mouse
    * 1/4 cup baking soda
    * 1/4 cup cornstarch
    * 20 drops tea tree oil.
    * 2+ TBSP coconut oil
    * Force into empty deodorant container

2) just rub a little baking soda in the arm pits and that does the job quite well-from JWheelz

3) Rub a lemon into the arm pits - from Autumn

4) just coconut oil and baking soda in a small container- from PrimalPatty

5) Shaving Cream Racket - Shave with water only - Shiggles
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

6) Deodorize Hair - juice of 2 lemons or 1/2 cup ACV mixed with 1 quart of water - from Mizski

7) The Pooless Group http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=52

8) Mom It Down Deoderant - from Michele Boudreaux
    * 2 tablespoons shea butter
    * 2 tablespoons coconut oil
    * 2 tablespoons baking soda
    * 2 tablespoons corn starch
    * http://mihow.com/articles/2010/11/22...own-deodorant/

I will try the lemon rub in my arm pits first. Looks like a great idea from Autumn. If that doesn't work, I'll try the deodorant recipes.

Grizz
    Hahahaha, Grizz. You are awesome.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    If my pits get a little funky between showers I use a splash of rubbing alcohol mixed with peppermint oil. Just splashing some up there like it was aftershave does the trick. If I've been eating without fault it never really smells though, actually smells sweet if anything. My girlfriend is a girly-girl and she loves the way I smell; just buries her face in my neck and gives my ears a sniff. The verdict is usually 'caramel', hahaha

Dullahan is offline Member
    Wouild baby poweder not solve the problem of your arm pits?
    It is not what we take up, but what we give up, that makes us rich.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Bevaboo is offline Senior Member
    I was so thrilled to find this post! I've been reading for the past couple of days, since it's gotten so many comments, but I think I'm ready to say, 'I'm in."

I've actually been in for several months, as far as soap goes. Any soap, even after I go potty. The way I see it, I don't get anything on my hands (I'd use soap if I did, honest!), so why dry out my hands with soap? Any germs that might have leapt from the TP to my hand should wash off pretty easily with water. At least, that's how it seems, and please correct me if I'm wrong! I was a 'hippy' mom when my kids were babies--cloth diapers, wiping them with wet washcloths, and no ill effects.

And I've always been interested in the concept of not washing my hair. A friend of mine once told me of a documentary she'd seen on the subject, and I loved the idea, just wasn't sure how long it would take to 'normalize' my hair. Two weeks, though? I'm a SAHM, I can wear a ball cap for two weeks. Except to church, but I can do a ponytail for that. I told my husband of my plans, but he reacted so negatively, I decided to tell him I was planning to make my own deodorant. I'm not, but I told him that so he'll feel free to tell me if I'm stinky. Let's face it, that could be touchy for him, and he might not tell me, otherwise.
    Your book club may have scintillating discussions. But my book club can drink your book club under the table.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast