Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zinc, Magnesium, and Timing page

Adrianne is offline Senior Member

Zinc, Magnesium, and Timing

I have decided I would like to supplement zinc and magnesium. I have never really delved into supplements and everything I read when Googling has conflicting information. I hope someone can help me with some questions. I searched the forums for supplement timing but it came up with a few results for creatine and the fat soluble vitamins.

Should I take zinc and magnesium together or keep them at separate ends of the day?
    Should I take them on an empty stomach or with food?
    Should I take them in the morning or at night?
    Will zinc give me a stomach ache?
    Will magnesium cause sleepiness...or insomnia? I have read that it does both.

If anyone can shed some light on these questions I would really appreciate it!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    CILIAKAT...... i am sure she will reply when she sees this, i would like to know as well

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little curious about this myself. I wasn't sure if mag should be taken with other vitamins or by itself.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Zinc and Magnesium shouldn't be taken at the same time. Not for any bad effects, but for the simple reason of absorption. Zinc and Magnesium both fight for absorption when taken together so you should space them out.
    Zinc and magnesium are best absorbed on an empty stomach, but if it messes with your stomach have it with some food. More will be absorbed on an empty stomach, but if you can't handle it, have some food.
    Magnesium is best taken at night before sleep as it relaxes the muscles (amongst other things). So I take zinc in the morning (empty stomach as I often skip breakfast) and take Magnesium at night before sleeping to help with muscle soreness etc.

That's my 2c. I am sure Cillakat will have more info

periquin is offline Senior Member
    paleo_rob: Different strokes for different folks.

I take magnesium in the AM because my primary concern is hypertension. Morning is my worst time for blood pressure, ergo, that is when I dose the Hg. I never had any compunction about taking magnesium and zinc at the same time. You have inspired me to check into this a bit more.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Look forward to any response. I am taking Mag, Cal and Vit D complex before bed and I think it makes my insomnia worse...if anyone can respond to OP question and knows whether that might be right, I would love to know...I think I may stop taking it to see if it improves the sleeping.

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    paleo_rob: Different strokes for different folks.
    Exactly right. I should have mentioned it clearer. It really is a, see how you feel, and adjust accordingly, with the only real guidelines to follow is the spacing of the zinc and magnesium (again this shouldn't make you feel any better or worse, but will limit absorption)

Oh I'm so glad some people responded! It looks like I'm not the only one who's confused.

At first I thought it would be best to take zinc and magnesium at separate times, but then I read about a sports supplement named ZMA that actually combines zinc and magnesium into one pill. That's not the form of the two supplements I bought - I bought them as separate pills. It does make me wonder if they can be taken together because both components are rolled into one pill in that supplement.

It looks like a lot of my questions might be coming down to personal preference, but I am interested if anyone else has more comments or advice.

JCoop is offline Junior Member
    Zinc was once thing I thought about supplimenting, but then I read on Dr. Eades blog that paleo folks typically do not have to suppliment zinc due to all the red meat we eat. He also said that over supplimentation of zinc will then lead to copper deficiencies, but did warn about supplimenting copper as it will make you sick if you over suppliment. All so confusing.... I suppliment 10,000 IU of Vit. D3, Mark's multi-vit, and magnesium at night. I recently had bloodwork done and all my levels are great so I figure I don't need to suppliment anything else. I have some zinc on hand for times when I feel a cold coming on, but that hardly ever happens anymore....

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's interesting, JCoop, about the zinc. I may just skip supplementing zinc because I never really get colds either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast